2001 V6 Revving High On Start Up/squealing Noise

Kiwibird08

Dec 27, 2014
Hoping this is the right place to post. My car is an 01 'base model', automatic, about 120K miles, routine oil changes/scheduled maintenance, never driven hard... Only 'major' issue the car's ever had was the fuel pump needed to be replaced a few years back. Last week, I noticed it didn't sound 'right' but couldn't put my finger on what sounded off, so I wrote it off as being due to cold/damp weather or something. Christmas eve I had to run an errand and it started making a light squealing kind of noise, similar to a squeaky belt but not as loud. Started it up today and it kind of struggled to turn over then revved all the way over to 6000rpm before going back down. It is still making the squealing noise too, but wasn't revving high when idling. It did the same thing when I turned it over again. Any thoughts what this might be? I always like to have an idea of whats wrong before taking it to the mechanic, but this is not an issue I've experienced in a car before. I *think* the mechanic mentioned last time I got my oil changed it was about due for a timing belt and air filter, could one or both of those be the issue? Would it be a good idea to just park it until I can get it over to the mechanic in the next week or 2 (I have another car to drive)? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Shop just trying to charge you money. If u have a base model and it's a v6 it has a timing chain. U don't have to replace them. Get you a automotive scope from a parts place. They are cheep. Start the car and touch it to the pulleys to pin point the noise more then likely one is starting to go out. The idle thing I have know clue never seen that. Maybe tips sensor or iac modual

As I am not particularly mechanically inclined, I wouldn't dare mess with anything myself. I'd rather pay to have it done right in the first place rather than screw it up royally myself and have to pay 2X as much to fix what I did and the original issue. The mechanic did get my car fixed. It was the idler pulley and water pump making the noises. The revving issue was caused by some other part that needed to be cleaned or polished or something (he didn't charge me for that). It wasn't that expensive and the noise and revving issue is gone and my car sounds/drives normal again. I do trust my mechanics integrity, I just like to be prepared before taking my car in if it's going to be one of those "may be time to look for a new car" kinda issues before he calls. It wasn't this time, thankfully.

Glad you got it fixed. I'm that weird guy that thinks I have to figure things out myself lol. I'll buy manuals and Google stuff to get tricks and hints. If u take u r time do some research you might surprise urself at wat u can do. I guaranty you if u do make a mistake you can usually try it again 3 times and still cost less then a shop price. Quoted me 2600 dollars to change out clutch on my wife's 09 gti, more if it needed flywheel. I replaced it all with upgraded stage 2 parts for 600 bucks including special tools I bought to do it. Never ever touched a volkswagen and 3 shops turned me down when I said vw.

Reactions: 1 user
I have done a little cosmetic stuff to my car, but nothing that could really screw anything up. Changing out headlight/taillight casings, put all chrome buttons, custom seat covers, a window motor, some pink trim:) and I did a custom gauge cluster bezel. That kind of stuff I don't mind watching a video and doing myself because I can only do so much damage, but the engine intimidates me. I don't know the names/uses of all the parts and theres just too much to screw up under the hood. My husband is less mechanically inclined than me, so it's not like I have anyone who could help me figure stuff out. He tells me to take it to a mechanic and asks what else does he work for if I always want to do stuff myself to save money. He is not terribly in favor of the idea of a woman working on a car. He gets nervous when I use power tools to refinish furniture or even a drill to make toys for my bird, let alone working on the engine of my car lol. He might have a heart attack!

Lol yea that don't help much tho. My ex wife didn't know what a mustang was, except old ones lol. Be the time we got divorced 7 yrs later we had 5 mustangs and she was helping me build motors and drag racing almost as good as my times! There is a club called "girls can too" guys get real but hurt when they lose to a v6 mustang especially with a chick driving. Still calls me to fix stuff. Lol