289 connecting rods

68RustBucket

Sep 27, 2003
Linwood, NJ
I'm in the process of ordering rebuild parts for my 68 289, and I've run into a question ...

On the Keith Black website, they say that using the KB281 pistons with a 289 will require use of 5.09" connecting rods. That is perfectly fine, except that now I'm not sure that'll work with a stock 289 crankshaft.

I searched for some info on the forums and found someone saying that the stock connecting rods were 5.155". So here is what I need to know:

Will the KB281 (or KB115) pistons and 5.09" connecting rods work with a 289 crank?

• Sponsors (?)

If they say it is for a 289 and not a stroker I'm sure it'll work. They just moved the pin down farther on the piston which makes it use a shorter rod. A lot of the FE engines used the same length rod even though there were different strokes.

My understanding is that the 289 and 302 piston have the same compression height. To accommodate the longer stroke of the 302, Ford shortened the rod from 5.155 to 5.09 (half of the increase of stroke (3.00"-2.87"=.065. 5.155"-5.09"=.065/2)). There was no reason to change the piston. So, I would check into this some more. Call Speed-o-Motive (http://www.speedomotive.com/) and see what they say. They are, generally, a good source for low-cost parts like this, anyway. Then let us know what you find out. Else, someone here can confirm/refute.

SoCal's got it right, both 289 and 302 use the same piston but different rods. Those pistons will work with a 289 crank and 289 rods. Use 302 rods on a 289 crank and not only will the pistons not come all the way to the deck, but the crank counterweights will hit the piston bottoms before it reaches BDC

Ford 289 applications you can use all Ford 302, 5.090 rod pistons. Compession ratio is same as Ford 302 x's .965.
Quote from KB website. I read it as though it is listed as a 302 piston with a 5.09 it can be used in a 289. Other piston listed for a 302 with a 5.40 rod or other length will not interchange.

5.155" connecting rods it is, says the techs at Keith Black.

I think this whole question stemmed from me hoping 2 things ...

1) I didn't have to spend $600 on a set of nice new 289 connecting rods

2) I didn't have to use my original set, because I'm slightly weary of about reusing 38 year old parts aside from the block and crank.

All in all, I guess I'll have to use the originals unless I can find an affordable set of new rods. If anyone knows about such a set (<$300), please give me a heads up. Thanks much.

I just talked to the guy that's prepping my block, and he said he'll shot peen them and give me some new ARP bolts. I figure that'll relieve my worries. All in all, this saves me a good couple of bucks since I don't need to buy new ones. Good day for me

You can get Eagle Rods at summit for $260 or $289 depending on length. They are rated at 500HP and have 3/8" ARP Wave-Loc Bolts installed.

If that is too much then at least upgrade the stock bolts on your rods to 3/8" ARP's

Pbum5 said:
You can get Eagle Rods at summit for $260 or $289 depending on length. They are rated at 500HP and have 3/8" ARP Wave-Loc Bolts installed.

If that is too much then at least upgrade the stock bolts on your rods to 3/8" ARP's

Do I ever wish that was the case. The only 5.155" rods I can find on summit are Eagle ESP H-Beam ($619.95) and Crower Sportsman ($648.39). Reconditioning and shot peening my original rods will run about $125 for the set, according to fella doing my block. I guess this is one of the cons of 289's not being so common anymore.

unless you are building a race engine, the stock rods, when rebuilt and arp bolts fitted, will do more than fine. there are many guys running stock 289 rods(with some race prep) in vintage racing and not having a problem. i am going to reuse the stock rods in the 289 i will build for my new falcon(they have already been rebuilt and have arp 5/16" bolts installed). and dont let anyone try and talk you into putting 3/8" bolts in the stock rod as that WILL weaken the rod. an 11/32" bolt can be installed in the stock rods though with no problem, but you wont need them, again unless you are going racing with this motor(and not just once in a while, but full time).