351Cleveland timing

Wootdog

Oct 6, 2005
Need some help timing this beast. When I look at the timing marks, it looks like it is jumping all over the place. supposed to be 6 degrees btc. The mark doesn't show degrees. I have the distributor plugged but it looks as if it is before than after. I compared my distributor location with a friends, and his vacuum advance points straight forward and my points to the right slightly. Thanks in advance. Kerry

• Sponsors (?)

Two things:

1.) You said "...I have the distributor plugged..." If you didn't mean the vacuum port on the carb that feeds the distributor; that's probably your problem. Obviously, any vacuum leaks are trouble here.

2.)Don't know where you are; but here in the desert, we have troubles with the rubber isolator pulling loose from the outer ring on original harmonic balancers. All it takes is for one "missed shift" (or even worse, finding reverse instead of 4th! :eek: ) to "spin the ring"; and you're never gonna get an accurate timing picture 'til you get a new balancer. I'm possibly gonna have to replace the balancer (for this reason) on my XR-7. Gonna wait until the new intake/lifters/pushrods/vacuum lines/rebuild the carb job is done to see if I'm right. Pulling the radiator and shroud and fan and main pully and balancer and...and..... will set me back another week :bang:

Sounds as if you need to pull the distributor & move it a a tooth or two. This will allow for more adjustment. Spin the engine until it as TDC on # 1 before doing anything.

Mike

Need some help timing this beast. When I look at the timing marks, it looks like it is jumping all over the place. supposed to be 6 degrees btc. The mark doesn't show degrees. I have the distributor plugged but it looks as if it is before than after. I compared my distributor location with a friends, and his vacuum advance points straight forward and my points to the right slightly. Thanks in advance. Kerry

doesnt matter where the vacuum can points as long as you have room to advance or retard the timing as much as needed. since the timing seems to be bouncing around, it sounds like you are getting what is known as spark scatter. the occurs when the point spring tension is weak, and/or when the distributor bushings wear out. with the age of this engine, i recommend a rebuilt distributor.