3v motor in a 2000 gt?

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure, probably wouldn't fit considering the engine bay space in an 05 looks considerably larger. Not to mention why bother? (unless you're getting one for a steal).

I would HIGHLY advise a 4v swap if you're going a motor swap route.

Not sure, probably wouldn't fit considering the engine bay space in an 05 looks considerably larger. Not to mention why bother? (unless you're getting one for a steal).

I would HIGHLY advise a 4v swap if you're going a motor swap route.

How would you figure a 3v would be harder to fit than a 4v of the same engine block? :shrug:

IMO the biggest hurdle in doing the 3v swap would be wiring. I would imagine the wiring 4v would be somewhat easier considering it was used in the same platform.

The 3v will fit, in fact there was a guy that used to come here that had a 5.4 3v in a 1998 gt.

Now you would have to make some significant changes in wiring and you would have to get rid of the VCT

BTW as the above poster said a 4v would be easier and has more potential. You can get one cheap out of a mark8 and even use the stock processor with a different tune to run it. One thing on the 4v that would have to go is the IMRC since the 4.6 2v processor does not have the drivers to run it.

BTW moved to tech!

Here is the best link I've fouund on the subject. http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87399

There is another guy that did a built iron block and just put 3v heads on it but to me that kills some of the advantage.

I would like to do this to my 99 if and when I can afford it. The main advantage for using the 3v is weight. The heads should be lighter due to still having a single cam in each head and the aluminum block yeilds some weight savings. Reports are they can be made to flow almost as good as the 4v.

BTW: Logan is making the adaptors for headers and throttle body for around $320.

Well, I am putting a 2V into a fox body right now....so I can relate. What I am doing is using the entire wireharness from the 01 to the 81...headlights to taillights. I am even using the dash from the 2001-to my 1981. It fits with trimming.

I would recommend using the 05 dash, dash harness, and engine harness. You will still have to customize it to make it work with the rest of your wiring. A 2005 dash swap into your 2000 GT would be awesome!! I have already pulled out a 2006 stang dash. IT is easier to pull than the 94-04 style. It is a basic frame, and with some trimming you could get in in your car.

If my 06 parts car, was a GT I would have done the 3V swap in my 81, but it was just a V6.

Why would you want the Mark VIII heads? They arn't pretty and from what I was reading before, you'd be just as well off with the 2v PI heads.

The 3v swap isn't easy either though. As I recall, the computer has control over some valve events, and you obviously won't be able to retain that feature.

The 3v will fit, in fact there was a guy that used to come here that had a 5.4 3v in a 1998 gt.

Now you would have to make some significant changes in wiring and you would have to get rid of the VCT

BTW as the above poster said a 4v would be easier and has more potential. You can get one cheap out of a mark8 and even use the stock processor with a different tune to run it. One thing on the 4v that would have to go is the IMRC since the 4.6 2v processor does not have the drivers to run it.

BTW moved to tech!