400HP 2V N/A....Going back to my roots....

So I located a couple of aluminium blocks to use for my 5.3l build...1 teskid and 1 WAP block....just deciding which one....I could use my WAP block which was original plan but may just sell my shortblock and build another.....as it would be easy to sell with all forged internals...still looking to pull the engine the 1st week of July...

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all, there is 1 other factor I wanted to call out based on previous findings and assumptions for a 400 rwhp 2v throughout the past 20 years....to get 400hp to the tires on a 2v NA you will need to spin to the moon.....as seen on the graphs on page 5.....400 rwhp can be achieved under 6k rpms.....basically, right cam profiles and TFS heads will dictate hp from 5600 to 6200 rpms on pi or bullitt intake....port jobs on TFS or TFS R heads with right cam profile can push 400 to 440 hp with a 5.0 to 5.3l based shortblock with these 2v heads...drivability like stock with hp like gen 1 to 2 coyote... basically....a full build 2v with this set up would still be cheaper than a coyete swap....with the gen 2 or 3 coyote....you still have room to grow but most swaps around 15 to 19k for low mileage engine and all supporting parts....built 2v should be 6 to 7 k if you do the work yourself or 8 to 12k for a shop to build....just some more thoughts and options for those interested...

So I got some great news on research about the TFS 185s vs the 195r heads... there is a difference in castings which allow for the bigger intake valves in the R heads but all versions can go up to .650 lift with the dual pact valve springs .... I contacted trick flow yesterday to confirm.... I got the part numbers for the springs and seals from them to allow for larger lift cams... in theory I may lose some power or about 5hp from the 150lbs spring pressure but should gain 20 to 30hp going from a .575 to a .620 lifts... on top of that it will be a stable valve train that can spin past 8000 if needed... only 6800 to 7000 will be needed with my set up but considering the ported 44cc heads were still making good flow to .600 lift there should be another 10 to 15 cfm more to .650 with the 5.3l and 94mm bore...... so usable power and flow for a larger bore and stroke for the 5.3 l combo.... this should push a 2v well over 400hp and tq with a normal intake and make peak power around 5900 to 6200 rpms...as a reminder... TF tested .580 lift cams with huge duration on there 5.3 stroke test engine and made 466hp... they did another test with cams at .625 lifts and hit 518hp... with much less duration using their top end kit as well...so it was worth 52hp just on more lift with a smaller cam profile on the 5.3l combo...I belive it should gain 15 to 25 more hp to the tires with PI and bullitt intakes...good stuff...

ED

Last edited:
So, for Comparison, here are the results and Articles for Trick Flow on their heads with the 5.3l Based Stroker Engine...and I will compare with other things I found to show where potential was missed and where HP is left on the table..

- https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016...ive-trick-flow-gets-466-hp-ford-2v-mod-motor/

Here is the Boss 5.0 with Stroker for 5.3l Engine (Engine Dyno) , 11.5 to 1 CR with stock TFS R 195s, Track Max Stage 2 camshafts .580-inch lift and 234° duration @.050 inch, strong mid- to top-end power and a 1,800-6,500 rpm powerband, dual 70mm TB with TFS Track Heat Intake, 36 lb injectors, and 1 3/4 in longtubes.... This engine dyno produced 466/414 which would be 396.1/351.9 RWHP to the tires through and Auto with est 15% drivetrain loss or 410.08/364.32rwhp though a manual with 12% Drivetrain loss... keep in mind, the TFS Track Heat is really designed for upper HP and trades off in TQ....

1689252271008.png

Here is the Test run and only difference noted was a custom grind cam that went to a .625/.625 lift with more duration, same intake, but looks like different size headders with 1 5/8... and 11.66 to 1 CR....

This engine dyno produced 518/417 which would be 440.3/354.45 RWHP to the tires through and Auto with est 15% drivetrain loss or 455.84/366/96rwhp though a manual with 12% Drivetrain loss... same thing with trade off with HP and TQ with the higher reving intake...

1689253858202.png

Considering cam profiles used and neither setup had ported heads there was potentially 25-50 more HP/tq to be gained on either of those set ups from 3k to 6200 for peaks if not more.... looking at a normal Bullet intake chart on page 5, the TQ was really impressive and to compensate for 12-15% drivetrain loss, the 5.3l combo with normal intakes on stock 185 heads with 11.3cr put down 393/398 this would translate to 440.16/445.76 with 12% or 451.95/457.7 hp on the dyno... and that is with stock 185s... so ported 185s, stock 195Rs or ported Rs, along with higher lift cams, you can get over 400 to 450 hp based on set up easily...and build peak Power and TQ in the daily driver range between 5500 to 6200 rpms.... good stuff...

I have seen a few other builds by reputable builders and recent articles but they are using off the shelf components to hit 500 crank HP using similar builds..... (using .550 lift cams as example) but the missing factors that really opens up the 2v are Porting the TFS heads and taking advantage of the .650 lift from the dual pact valve springs.... which can be used on 185s and comes standard on the 195 R heads.... seeing the graphs above, more lift really opens up the top end HP and TQ and will multiply with Ported heads... but how much on a PI and Bullet intake is TBD.... based on all my findings and experience.... I would expect 25 to 50hp from 3k to 6k rpms and would expect 70 to 150 HP and TQ increases with Ported heads, higher lift cams on the 5.3l stroker from 6200 rpms to 7000+ RPMs over 281 based engines and even over the strokers noted above.... very usable RPM range and with the dual pact valve springs, the engine can handle the RPMs with good internals...

I have started to order parts and will keep everyone posted on the project.... I am really excited to see how resleving an aluminum block does.... L&M claims they have done thousands of various blocks without any issue but haven't seen any NA 2v builds go this route...

Last edited:
Hi all, here is and update so far...Parts are piling up now but some are backordered..... been real slow working on the car as family have been staying with me for past few months... getting ready to start tearing down engine now... gathering part numbers on items needed and cost... car show season is coming up so getting the itch... keep you all posted..

Great research and investment into seeing how far a N/A 4.6 2V can go. I’ve been reading through this thread and your research. It has been very informative into what seems like a niche endeavor to build the ultimate naturally aspirated modular engine.
I bought a 1995 GT recently but seriously considered a 4.6 2V engine. My end goal was to stay naturally aspirated as you are. Didn’t want to turbo or supercharge it as I prefer the exhaust notes and responsiveness of a N/A engine. It seems everyone wants to do forced induction which is fine I just have a preference I guess.
From what I gather there is very hard wall to break past 500 crank horsepower N/A on a 4.6l 2V as well as the fact it would require immense amount of funds for the parts and machine work. I’m also concerned of the street ability for a 4.6 2V at this power level due to the level of cam and intake it would need.
I read a Reddit thread somewhere that Ford stopped manufacturing the oem plastic intake manifold for the SN95 4.6 2v. This has raised the prices of the aftermarket aluminum intakes immensely adding to the build cost. As far as I have researched the Bullit, Professional Products, and P51 intake are the few non plastic intakes you can get for a 4.6 2V. They all go for ~$1k now on eBay. I figure once word spreads that the oem is gone the prices will shoot up higher.

Yea...prices have shot up on everything lately...Bidenomics...lol... the 2v weakness has 2 things...displacement and head flow.... 4v heads have been worked over time to hit 320 to 330 cfm now...that's why you see 4vs hitting 400hp plus at higher rpms... the old 5.0l generation had their platform for years and before superchargers were abundant and learned displacement and aftermarket heads were the key to getting power... only thing with the 2v is superchargers were taking off when the new edge kicked off soo the main crowd just went power added... we are limited with aftermarket but no one ever got the combos right... money will need to be spent but when we'll spent and knowing what parts to use and modify, we can get there... one thing I am finding out is no one has really modified TFS heads to a point where they really wake up...meaning 185 TFS heads only get a minor port job and pick up 20 to 25 cfm...but most never touch the bowls or port the runners to support higher power and flows...everyone I read that did custom port work to get more flow had great power and results... I am under the belief that companies based their port work off 281 platform and not many have hogged out expensive TFS heads for 323 cu engines..... basically we were stuck with off the shefl parts to work with... knowing what I know now...custom work on heads and intakes is where the key is and to use a big bore kit at a minimum and with stroker..5.3l is the base engine ... last piece is the cam profiles...I have seen several build with 5.3l engine using ported pi heads or .550 cams and see the issue is flow and displacement..

As far as street ability....the intake and power/ tq curve will dictate 90% of that...rule of thumb I use is....ported heads can greatly increase power and does not affect drivability....if you go with a larger intake the cam profile needs to match...can't use a stage 3 cam that works with a pi intake on an eddy or TFS intake...cams shift the power curve up slightly but intakes move power an tq drastically.. so a smaller and different designed cam is needed to maximize tq down low...otherwise you have a race car only...CR increase is the main ingredient as you can go larger on the cams and still have good low end drivability... meaning if your running a 244 cam with tfs intake on a stock 281 sb with 9.2 to 1 cr and add in say a stock 01 cobra piston with 2.66cc dish pistons you would gain nearly 2 full points of compression...or be around 11.34 to 1 cr...but pick up 40hp and 40tq from idle to redljne.... car would be very streetable now with big cam and intake combo...by adding in 40 hp and tq down low this drastically helps drivability and offsets the tq loss from lower compression with big cams and intakes...

I agree it is hard to get past 500hp crank.... but only really need about 455hp crank to hit 400 to tires... from a manual 5 speed 455 -12% for drivetrain = 400hp to tires... 500 -12% would be around 440hp.. many have hit 400 crank with stockist components and I hit that as well.....so getting a 100 hp from intakes and ported heads/ correct cam profiles is not hard...just have to find the right combos and do some custom tweaking which is where that 20 to 40 hp needs to be found...little things like crank, rod, piston coatings, correct ring Gaps set up for high compression... heads ported and flowed for NA applications or not 1 program fits all cnc job.....and most importantly...which no one rarely does...custom grind camshafts to the flow of the ported heads....this is where all the power is missed....plus for NA...if you pick up 20hp at peak in curve...that equats to over 50 to 70 hp at 6500 to 6700 rpms..which is where usable power is for NA...example is my ported 44cc heads gained 25more hp at peak over ported PIs but gains 90tq and 70hp more around 6600 rpms as example...right at my shift points...and with bigger cams and higher cr...I was over 100hp more compared to a stock engine at 1500 to 2500 rpms so low end drivability was awesome...

As far as intakes... there are multiple models with PI intakes so junkyards you can pick up cheap for used and millions are available.....plus I have some ideas for tweaking the PI intake and will discuss my modifications and findings when I get closer to building...thinking of starting a youtube channel to go over all the little 2v things I learned over the years to help others... there are some things I want to try and test and will PI k up another PI intake to modify...incase I mess one up...basically casting areas on the runners that can be cleaned up and cnc"ing/porting the neck of the intake to increase volume from plenum and intake neck...

One final thought about 500hp at crank... as seen in the TFS test engine with 5.3l using r heads and their high flow intake.... pretty easy to hit with expanded lifts from .575 to .625...this puts rwhp around 455hp and 360tq to the tires.....

As show with the dyno graph with 5.3l 38cc stock TFS HEADS and .575 lift cams with 393rwhp and 398rwtq this would be about 440/445 at the flywheel....

So for steerable car the pi and bullit intakes are the best bet and with dual pact valve springs, ported heads, and larger lifts cam you should be able to hit 500÷ hp and tq using these intakes and build peak power from 5800 to 6200 rpms vs 6700 to 7800 rpms with higher rpm intake..this would be around 435 to 445 hp and tq to rear wheels...and not lose tq below 2500 rpms compared to the intakes that shift drivability up 1400 to 2000 rpms higher....

Foxtrot245...you also talked about responsiveness of an N/A motor...one thing I can say about a high power na 2v is it it way more responsive than a forced induction car...even more so with a high stall locking tq converter...the one thing I love about the 4r70w is the higher wide band gear range ....Is steeper than a th400 tranny and extremely reliable... when cruising at 50...you can tap the brake to unlock the converter and right in the power band.....mash to the floor and every ounce of hp hits when dropping gears....5 speed cars locks in the gear you downshift to but with the 4000 stall of a built tyranny engages...if feels like boost but instantaneous..... the throttle response NA is crazy...higher cr cars with 410 gears, ud pulleys, electric waterpump and 4000 stall hitting sweet spot in peak power band feels crazy....I have driven several friends supercharged car and the have driven mine...needless to say the were shocked..... na built right is fun to drive

Well put. I’m younger without as much disposable income so exploring natural aspiration would be easier on the wallet for me. Not to say I’m against supercharging. I have done research that some forced induction would be much appreciated 10,000ft+ above sea level due to less air density. Though most American roads and interstates aren’t that high as far as I know. Some articles like this one https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/...at-elevation-counteracting-lower-air-density/ note around 3% engine power loss per 1,000ft. I’m planning to cruise most states and I’m sure I’ll encounter some steep mountain grades so my hand might be forced consider light boost on my Windsor. I’m not a fan of the whine so I’ll have to find the right supercharger. Centrifugal, roots, and twin screws have their quirks in where the power is delivered boosting where a N/A engine is more responsive like you’ve noted when pressing that pedal. I’ve also noted there aren’t a plethora of options when it comes to supercharging Windsor engines compared to Modular since that was more of a Modular engine thing.

My previous project car was a 1983 Firebird that I swapped a carbureted 305 SBC and TH350C. It was fun but the 3 speed wasn’t great for gas, and the 305 wouldn’t be economical to mod because of the small bores. The Fuel Injected 302 Windsor and overdrive on the T-5 are much better on the wallet haha. That 5.3 Ford Performance Modular Stroker looks like an awesome platform to build a N/A beast. Just wish it didn’t cost so much. I was also interested in 4.6l 2V engines because the exhaust note is the closest I’ve seen on videos to a old school SBF which was a noteable consideration for me.

I think it’s cool the Windsor and Modular 4.6 2V engines have the same firing order which probably contributes heavily to the great exhaust note since they are both 16 valve engines. I prefer the modular 2v exhaust note over the 4v and I’m sure it’s due to being the same number of valves as a Windsor. It’s interesting you noted the aftermarket probably directed their head technology to 281 Modular engine displacement. I did not consider that since it would make it harder for bored out and stroked Modulars to find good aftermarket heads for that wouldn’t need work on your end to get working optimally.

As for building a Modular engine I’ll get my hands on a 4.6 2v and rebuild one eventually. My only experience are with old school OHV pushrods. The ford EECV system allows you to see the missfires on the Modular which would be nice. I’ve been learning about the EECIV on my 95GT currently. I find it hard to find knowledgeable people out in the wild in 2023 that understand these engines. Rare to see a Windsor ,more specifically a complete 5.0 H.O., these days end up in the junkyard. Still can find 4.6 2v in the yards but those days will come to an end too. My only way to interact with people who know these things are through forums. I think you would find people interested in a youtube channel for building 4.6s.

I read in the SA 4.6 rebuild book 96-98 4.6 2vs are the wasted spark ignition system and the 99-04 are coil on. So I’ll try to get a 99+ 4.6 from the yard since it doesn’t wear out the spark plugs as much. The 4.6 I would want to build would preferably have the power band to make as much power in the lower rpms.

Last edited:
Also, one last thing...lookin at the TFS build with 5.3l, TFS R heads, and .625 lift cams.....stock R heads flow around 270cfm 199 ex..... I have seen R heads ported flow 292 in and 219 ex.. .at .600 lift and was still picking up flow.
..they should have tested to .650 lift which would have been around 305 to 310 cfm and 225 to 230 ex at .650..... so in theory the car put down 518/417 on the dyno With .625 lift...which equates to 455hp and 366tq to tire... with mild port shown above with using math on head flows...the 30cfm gain a5 .650 lift would equate to 60 to 65 more hp at the crank... or 580ish crank and 477ish tq....which would be around 510 hp and 422tq to the tires on a manual with 12% drive train loss... max effort build...could aways get a bit more with 12 to 12.5 to 1 cr and E85 tune....so still a lot of potential with a full out build..with bump in cr and e85 about 3 to 4% more hp or 25 more hp and tq for hax build...potential is there...

Well put. I’m younger without as much disposable income so exploring natural aspiration would be easier on the wallet for me. Not to say I’m against supercharging. I have done research that some forced induction would be much appreciated 10,000ft+ above sea level due to less air density. Though most American roads and interstates aren’t that high as far as I know. Some articles like this one https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/...at-elevation-counteracting-lower-air-density/ note around 3% engine power loss per 1,000ft. I’m planning to cruise most states and I’m sure I’ll encounter some steep mountain grades so my hand might be forced consider light boost on my Windsor. I’m not a fan of the whine so I’ll have to find the right supercharger. Centrifugal, roots, and twin screws have their quirks in where the power is delivered boosting where a N/A engine is more responsive like you’ve noted when pressing that pedal. I’ve also noted there aren’t a plethora of options when it comes to supercharging Windsor engines compared to Modular since that was more of a Modular engine thing.

My previous project car was a 1983 Firebird that I swapped a carbureted 305 SBC and TH350C. It was fun but the 3 speed wasn’t great for gas, and the 305 wouldn’t be economical to mod because of the small bores. The Fuel Injected 302 Windsor and overdrive on the T-5 are much better on the wallet haha. That 5.3 Ford Performance Modular Stroker looks like an awesome platform to build a N/A beast. Just wish it didn’t cost so much. I was also interested in 4.6l 2V engines because the exhaust note is the closest I’ve seen on videos to a old school SBF which was a noteable consideration for me.

I think it’s cool the Windsor and Modular 4.6 2V engines have the same firing order which probably contributes heavily to the great exhaust note since they are both 16 valve engines. I prefer the modular 2v exhaust note over the 4v and I’m sure it’s due to being the same number of valves as a Windsor. It’s interesting you noted the aftermarket probably directed their head technology to 281 Modular engine displacement. I did not consider that since it would make it harder for bored out and stroked Modulars to find good aftermarket heads for that wouldn’t need work on your end to get working optimally.

As for building a Modular engine I’ll get my hands on a 4.6 2v and rebuild one eventually. My only experience are with old school OHV pushrods. The ford EECV system allows you to see the missfires on the Modular which would be nice. I’ve been learning about the EECIV on my 95GT currently. I find it hard to find knowledgeable people out in the wild in 2023 that understand these engines. Rare to see a Windsor ,more specifically a complete 5.0 H.O., these days end up in the junkyard. Still can find 4.6 2v in the yards but those days will come to an end too. My only way to interact with people who know these things are through forums. I think you would find people interested in a youtube channel for building 4.6s.

I read in the SA 4.6 rebuild book 96-98 4.6 2vs are the wasted spark ignition system and the 99-04 are coil on. So I’ll try to get a 99+ 4.6 from the yard since it doesn’t wear out the spark plugs as much. The 4.6 I would want to build would preferably have the power band to make as much power in the lower rpms.
Easiest build to hit 350 NA... spend the bucks on TFS Heads... Use your stock SB and change out pistons from a 4v.... from 98-04 NA... these come with a -2.33 to -2.66 dish pistons or close to that ... this would put your CR to around 11.1 to 11.4 to 1... 40hp increase... best bet would be to find and 98-04 cobra or Mach 1 SB used and just slap some 2v heads on it... dyno tune would be needed but would have over 100 to 125hp gain over stock engine with a good stage 2 cam with full exhaust... most modded cars nowadays have full bolt ons with stock SBs and you can find pistons new or used cheap... Mod motors love compression and really wake up... I got my 01 cobra SB for a steal back in the day for 400 bucks with 48k miles on it... just put my ported PI heads on and lost 68lbs and gained 40hp across the board after a tune... building fun power doesn't cost that much but building big power does unfortunately... but if you get the right parts the first time you can get supercharger power levels from a NA motor.... most supercharger base kits only put 340 to 360 to the tires on a stock motor... stage 2 or 3 kits can hit 400 to 440 safely on a stock SB... ... I am much like you that I love the sound of the N/A 2v engine... I switched exhausts a few times back in the day and found the best sounding to me was kooks LT 1 5/8 headder, Magnaflow X Pipe and catback.... idles with an aggressive rumble but sounds like a nascar at WOT... plus is one of the less restrictive exhausts.... it can be drony a bit with 410 gears but its a Mustang... lol... didn't modify it to sound stock..lol...

If you want low end grunt... checkout video on LSAs for cams from Richard holden.....the perfect cams for 4.6 with PI heads is CMS stage 2 to 2.5 cams..108 lsa with dual plane cam....the lower the lsa the more power down low but choppier idle....no loss of power up top...if your pair that with good ported pi heads and say 11.5 to 12.1 Cr on pump gas 350hp is achievable...or 400ish at the crank...with full exhaust...very tourquey car with trap speeds over 110 in 1/4 mile....

Another thought on 281 with TFS heads vs 323 stroker both with full bolt ons..... I was thinking...the average full bolt on 2v with full exhaust pi intake with plenum, pulling, other supporting bolt ons with 9.6 to 10 to 1 CR put down mid 330's in hp and mid 320s tq...so compared to changing to 5.3l block the guy that made 393/398 to the tires gained an average of 60 more hp and 73 ish tq to the rear wheels....porting the 44cc heads I had gained 25 hp and 20 Tq over other combos with TFS heads and that was through an auto...I am thinking the bullet intake limited his top end power nut provided better tq with his set up...and I was using a pi cam in the Trick flow heads so timing on exhaust was off a bit...could be possible to pick up 60 to 70 hp and 65 to 80 more tq with my set up but my starting point would be around 355hp and 350 tq... so belive 425/425 is possible with just the block change and cam profile...still have stock drivability with peak power at 6k and peak tq at 4k...just some more thoughts on potential...