66 Mustang Rear Seatbelt Bolt Removal

Kkroeker

Jun 14, 2015
I have a 66 coupe I am in the process of tear down with. I have two seat belt bolts that are giving me fits in the back. Looks as though the previous owner had some issue as well as the bolts look a bit rounded.

Any tips? I've tried heat, deep creep, banging with a hammer, impact, bad words and laying of hands.

Is there something I am missing? Would grinding new sides help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

Usually an impact will take them right out .Are you turning them the correct direction ...Righty tighty ...Lefty Loosy HAHA ! Try to tighten them first then loosen, some times they will turn just a bit tighter before they will loosen . Are they rusty ?

I hope I am. Lol
I am struggling on getting a good bite with the sockets or wrenches. 20mm fit best on the rest I got out. Is there a standard that should work?
I noticed I can't get very deep on the bolt head for a good bite either. The metal plate is contoured enough the thickness of the socket or wrench impacts how far the bolt will go in. It seams as though there is something behind the plate keeping it pined against the bolt head.
I know I sound like an idiot making excuses.

I finally got it. Took an old harbor freight 13/16 and ground flat one side so it would fit deeper on the bolt. Then I thinned out the wall as well.
What a relief!

Reactions: 1 user