Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the initial sanding of the bondo, it feels pretty good.

I'll have to wipe it again to get the couple small low areas and fill in all of my pinholes. I whip my mud maybe a little to aggressively,:shrug: gets air bubbles in it.
IMG_2093.JPG
Now that is starting to look like my hood. All you need to make a perfect duplicate is to heat it in the middle w/ a torch next,...warp the pis s out of it,...beat on it w/ the pointed end of a body hammer, (trying to shrink the warpage because you don't know any better) get that close to tight, attempt to float out all of the remaining low/high spots w/ a dolly, cause it to start tincanning,...smack it low, and fill it w/ an obscene (for you) amount of filler.

Then you'll have a clone worth of being on the Monster.:nice:

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Reactions: 2 users
Do you know if the metal bracket that holds it to the rear body panel is straight? You might get lucky and be able to fix it that way.

Sometimes it's just the bumper cover slipping on the bracket that can give you that look. There's a little play in the holes that the bracket bolts go through. Try loosening up the nuts along the RBP a little first and pushing the edge of the bumper down and re-tightening the nuts. You could get lucky that way as well.

If it's not that, it's a little PITA to fix and will involve painting it. I would bet the bumper is just stretched out. If you want to fix it, pm me and I'll call and talk you through it.

Though a new one is less than $300. That would be the easy way out.
Ok I'll check that. I figured a new one would be easier. I don't have any particular attachment to the one that's on there so I'll probably just get a new one when I'm ready to get the car painted. Thanks Dave!

It really is ugly, but, on the bright side, the dents are coming out.

I'm having to tighten the metal up first because it's so stretched it tin cans really bad. I'll show the tool i'm using for that tomorrow.

I'll take out a couple of the big ones tomorrow on the right side and the middle.

The front of the hood was bad, that wasn't from the blasters though. It looked like someone used to use it for a chair. I spent quite a bit of time on that.

I am getting better at shrinking metal, and quicker. Hopefully it will only take about an hour to get those two areas.

It really is ugly, but, on the bright side, the dents are coming out.

I'm having to tighten the metal up first because it's so stretched it tin cans really bad. I'll show the tool i'm using for that tomorrow.

I'll take out a couple of the big ones tomorrow on the right side and the middle.

The front of the hood was bad, that wasn't from the blasters though. It looked like someone used to use it for a chair. I spent quite a bit of time on that.

I am getting better at shrinking metal, and quicker. Hopefully it will only take about an hour to get those two areas.
I feel for ya,....Mine looked the same way, only I took a perfectly good hood, and made it that way. By the time I was done I had all kinds of little pecks in an attempt to shrink the steel,...but as soon as I tried to flatten the pecks,.......it would start going wonka wonka.

I'll just say this,....and don't take it the wrong way,..(cause you gotta know i'd do whatever I could for you.........)

I'm glad it's you and not me.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel for ya,....Mine looked the same way, only I took a perfectly good hood, and made it that way. By the time I was done I had all kinds of little pecks in an attempt to shrink the steel,...but as soon as I tried to flatten the pecks,.......it would start going wonka wonka.

I'll just say this,....and don't take it the wrong way,..(cause you gotta know i'd do whatever I could for you.........)

I'm glad it's you and not me.
Tomorrow I'll post pictures of the main device I'm using to pull the dents/shrink the metal.

You would have loved to have had this tool when you were working on your hood mike. I understand and have shrunk large stretched areas now, not just little hand sized ones. Handy skill to have.

I'll try to show how I do it with that big fcking dent on the right. Maybe get my helper to take pictures while I actually accomplish the task.

I finally bought a set of factory mustang service manuals for 1983. That's all i can afford on this paycheck, work picked up, but not until the last three days of the pay period.

Anyway, i'm excited about this one. It was only fifty bucks for the whole set delivered.

More hood stuff. I finished the metal work on it and mudded it.

The one picture with the paint stick is just to show how far the hood was warped, it should be slightly arched outward there. I should have shown another picture with the stick after i pulled it.

Anyhow, i got all of the stretching out, the metal is tight now. Most of that mud will be sanded off. It's easier laying out one big coat rather than several thin coats.

Pictures
IMG_2111.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG
IMG_2112.JPG

Last edited:
More hood stuff. I finished the metal work on it and mudded it.

The one picture with the paint stick is just to show how far the hood was warped, it should be slightly arched outward there.

Anyhow, i got all of the stretching out, the metal is tight now. Most of that mud will be sanded off. It's easier laying out one big coat rather than several thin coats.

Pictures
IMG_2111.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG
IMG_2112.JPG

More hood with more bondo.

I got the middle blocked out, that took a while. Then i got the warping taken out of the left side, pulled a few small dents, shrunk a few outies down, and mudded it. I'm excited in a way, but this whole thing has affirmed to me my idea that i'm going to eventually get a GT hood and replace this monster (sorry Mike).

Hopefully the hood will,have primer on it by Friday. I still have to go back and glaze all of that mud.

I would have had to get a GT hood eventually anyhow, someday Robby will get some sort of btchin' V8. (I'm leaning toward a bored and stroked 351, btw)

Blah, blah, blah, here's a picture: God that's a lot of bondo!
IMG_2121.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Just out of curiosity how much have you put into it dollar wise with filler and mud? I'm sure you get a discount if not for free, but the lay person like myself would be halfway to a new hood right?

Status
Not open for further replies.