Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Doby is my red car that i was working like a mad man on until i found out that the person selling it to me didn't own it. I have a build thread and an album in the showcase for both vehicles.

DOBY = Dirty Old **** - my '86 t-top
ROBBY = Rusty Old Blue Bastard - my '83 t-top
Never mind, I'm probably confused, seem to be happening alot lately since I'm reading the gila monster thread from the begining, it's having an affect on me.
I am interested in reading about robby.

Doby is my red car that i was working like a mad man on until i found out that the person selling it to me didn't own it. I have a build thread and an album in the showcase for both vehicles.

DOBY = Dirty Old **** - my '86 t-top
ROBBY = Rusty Old Blue Bastard - my '83 t-top
Must've missed that in the Roby thread. In Maryland its not too hard to get a title ( I used to own a tag and title service ). I'm sure you probably have it figured out. All that work....jeesh.
In the old days we would've chopped the vin off and swapped it with one from a rusted beater with a good title.

Now, I'd do a mechanics lien in a heartbeat. [emoji12]

Doby is looking great already. Roby is a stangnet masterpiece, too. Great job on both so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Hold on, wait a tick, doby is in legal purgatory?
To make it even more exciting, it involves my family as well. I was asked if i wanted to buy the car, i said yes and started tearing after it.

As you know, i've done a lot to her. Only when i figured i better get the title for her taken care of, because i was at the reassembly point, did i find out about who really owns her.

So, what do i do? I grab a roll of duct tape and wrap my head securely to keep the explosion from being too messy.

Ironically, this knowledge came my way just shortly after finding Robby.

Robby is mine, i own him.

Once he's running, i'll take care of legal ownership issues with the family member that had been taking payments from me for Doby.

My family member isn't necessarily the most reliable when it comes to financial matters, like paying off loans for cars they're selling. I couldn't continue with Doby knowing i've got about $5-$6k to spend on her to make her running and a bank could legally drive up one day with a tow truck and take her away.

It stills gets my blood pressure spiking right now just to talk about it.

In the mean time, my son needs transportation still. I lucked out in finding Robby at precisely the right time. I'm still hyped about having found a t-top coupe.

All in all, both cars will be mine. Doby will just take a little screaming and threatening to get her on the road. I'll take care of that headache after Robby is driving.

Reactions: 2 users
I " bought" a car from a family member one time. It was free if I could take it away from my brother in laws condo parking lot. As soon as I got it running under its own power he decided it was worth something or he would drive his now running car again

I " bought" a car from a family member one time. It was free if I could take it away from my brother in laws condo parking lot. As soon as I got it running under its own power he decided it was worth something or he would drive his now running car again
Makes a guy want to puke and go postal, doesn't it? I don't think my brother was trying to get me to make it into a nice driver for him, he's far more talented than i am building cars. I honestly think that he just didn't give it too much thought.

I want to kick him in the nut sack, but he is my brother. I'll just go pee on his tomato plants next spring and not take any of the offered fresh tomatoes when they ripen.

I was really proud of old Doby, and i will be again. I'm just not sure how much it'll cost now.

**** on his welcome mat instead
Back in 1980, the day before i headed off to basic training, my brother and his wife took it upon themselves to throw me a going away party. They made sure i got completely sht faced. I showed them though, i threw up all over the place. Maybe this is the get even finally? Got to respect anyone that can wait 36 years to settle things.

That's one of those times where you put a glob of silicone in the gas tank and tell em to enjoy there running car lol
Doby is a pretty fun read as well. It's half the size of Mike's though. There might be a little talk of alcohol there as well.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/my-1986-t-top-build.888084/

This is the thread that made Dave kinda like/mostly dislike me :rlaugh:

Thanks man, how's your's coming along?

I keep saying this over and over, but I have mad respect for paint & body guys. I'm slower than a turtle, I'm planning on spraying a couple more coats of primer tomorrow, and we'll see how the body looks. I'm so ready to see some color on this girl. Question Dave, are you a wet sander, or do you prefer dry sanding your last primer coat?

I keep saying this over and over, but I have mad respect for paint & body guys. I'm slower than a turtle, I'm planning on spraying a couple more coats of primer tomorrow, and we'll see how the body looks. I'm so ready to see some color on this girl. Question Dave, are you a wet sander, or do you prefer dry sanding your last primer coat?
I can do either, though I find I'm more accurate with blocking dry.

Makes a guy want to puke and go postal, doesn't it? I don't think my brother was trying to get me to make it into a nice driver for him, he's far more talented than i am building cars. I honestly think that he just didn't give it too much thought.

I want to kick him in the nut sack, but he is my brother. I'll just go pee on his tomato plants next spring and not take any of the offered fresh tomatoes when they ripen.

I was really proud of old Doby, and i will be again. I'm just not sure how much it'll cost now.

Glad to see it's just not my brother too :bs:, except I found out after I built the motor, converted from carb to efi, sanded/blocked for three months, and then painted it. Family dispute, just sold the car because no one in the family could have it :crap:......it was my first car too :(

Ok, back to Robby.

I got a GT sticker that goes on the '83-'84 GT hoods and some trace paper.

This weekend i'll sit down and do some drawing and come up with a GLX overlay that i can use to stencil it on the hood when i paint the center grey.

I think i'll color sand the hood flat afterwards so you can't feel the GLX, then go back and spray semigloss over the middle. I like how my red car's hood turned out doing that.
IMG_0399.JPG

Reactions: 6 users
Finally got back to the yard yesterday. I was going to get the driver's door, but daylight was gone about twenty minutes after i got there.

So, i did the quick stuff, I took out the rear seat and removed the quarter interior trim and the quarter louvers. i used my phone's flashlight and got the passenger side kick panel out.....then it was just plain dark. Tossed this stuff in the bed of my truck and brought it home.

I'm going to scrub the plastic pieces with three different soaps this morning and some rubbing alcohol. I'll be using a red scotchbrite to do the cleaning.

I'll take them to work next week to paint. I'm going to use my new black dash pad to match the black. I'll use a satin clearcoat on top of the black base to see if that might help a little bit in the long run with future UV damage.

Pictures:
IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

College conference championships today, so, at 11:30 my time, nearly all progress on Robby will stop for the rest of the day. I will, however, make some progress with a few of these
IMG_2165.JPG

What "package" are we talking about?

(Am I gonna have to say Ewwwwwwwww?)

So let me get this straight in my head.

You are gonna make a GLX version of the GT sticker, and similarly paint it into the hood like said GT would've been?

My advice is to say No to that.

It's one of those instances where the factory never made a "bold statement" about car that was far from bold....
Well, I take that back......there was that "rolling sticker" era between 1974, and 1978.

Well,.....then there was the 79-80 Cobra,...

And then the i'll fated attempt to advertise the fact that the "Turbo" that was under the hood made a whole whopping 132 HP.

But,...after they got their balls back......

The only car that got it's model named screamed at the public through a badge or sticker was one that could back up the chest thump.

And GLX meant..........Gearhart Liebermans Xperiment..........

What "package" are we talking about?

(Am I gonna have to say Ewwwwwwwww?)

So let me get this straight in my head.

You are gonna make a GLX version of the GT sticker, and similarly paint it into the hood like said GT would've been?

My advice is to say No to that.

It's one of those instances where the factory never made a "bold statement" about car that was far from bold....
Well, I take that back......there was that "rolling sticker" era between 1974, and 1978.

Well,.....then there was the 79-80 Cobra,...

And then the i'll fated attempt to advertise the fact that the "Turbo" that was under the hood made a whole whopping 132 HP.

But,...after they got their balls back......

The only car that got it's model named screamed at the public through a badge or sticker was one that could back up the chest thump.

And GLX meant..........Gearhart Liebermans Xperiment..........
I think he is talking about putting it on the hood like the 4 eyed gt.
And who is gearhart lieberman? Google gave me a bunch of psychiatric stuff ( which I probably need )

Status
Not open for further replies.