Build Thread 84ttop: I Suck At Updating This Thread...

Is it going to be any better with spray going through them? That would really scare me. I had a set of Roush heads (RHS) that had hairline cracks near the valve guides. They assured me they were fine, but I returned them anyway.

Joe
yea... no where near the CYL pressure. the cracks i have are on the outside of the head, so it will just hit the exhaust

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Both heads will be replaced, as a matter of fact the new castings are already at the machine shop. Both heads are cracked for what we believe is a beat set of springs. Both the intake and exhaust runners are broken on 5 separate cylinders with the cracks emanating from the valve seats. The one head has 2 cracked pairs of runners and the other has 3, only reason we found this was #1 had 70% leak down after our last dyno pull. Honestly I was expecting to change a head gasket which would have been no big deal, what we did find... Not cool.
So a new set of heads, new springs and lifters will do the trick. We are going up on the spring pressure to hopefully avoid this from happening again, the big question is whether or not it will be done for next week to go to World Cup.

Both heads will be replaced, as a matter of fact the new castings are already at the machine shop. Both heads are cracked for what we believe is a beat set of springs. Both the intake and exhaust runners are broken on 5 separate cylinders with the cracks emanating from the valve seats. The one head has 2 cracked pairs of runners and the other has 3, only reason we found this was #1 had 70% leak down after our last dyno pull. Honestly I was expecting to change a head gasket which would have been no big deal, what we did find... Not cool.
So a new set of heads, new springs and lifters will do the trick. We are going up on the spring pressure to hopefully avoid this from happening again, the big question is whether or not it will be done for next week to go to World Cup.
No,...the big question I have is who is paying for all of this breakage? Is this a mfg defect,..or the cost of going fast?

No warranty on race parts :( my pocket picks up the tab for this one :notnice:
Well I was just wondering if the cracks were a defect in the casting process or whether it was the engine being hard on itself. Now I know.
Aside from that, (and that is a bad thing to be sure) That port work was/is beautiful nonetheless,...The ports almost looks like carbon fiber because of the darkening from the fuel,..I know it's not, but for a minute I thought......wait a minute,...does dude have a composite cylinder head?....Did I miss some new development?... Then I saw the crack,....."Ohhhh! he wan'ts me to see the crack,...he's not showing me his carbon fiber cylinder heads.":rolleyes:

Head are still not back... so there is your update :p

In other news I was working on this the other day and decided to share! Just a little welding project to make snow removal a little easier this winter, it still is no show piece and needs a coat of paint but it should serve the purpose just fine.
2016-11-29 20.58.14.jpg

2016-11-29 20.58.06.jpg

2016-11-29 20.58.24.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Head are still not back... so there is your update :p

In other news I was working on this the other day and decided to share! Just a little welding project to make snow removal a little easier this winter, it still is no show piece and needs a coat of paint but it should serve the purpose just fine.
2016-11-29 20.58.14.jpg

2016-11-29 20.58.06.jpg

2016-11-29 20.58.24.jpg
I really like the chassis shop influences,....has a certain.......spec 25.5 about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I really like the chassis shop influences,....has a certain.......spec 25.5 about it.
Thanks Mike, I was going to make it hydraulically actuated but I don't feel like getting into running a new remote switch and hydraulic hoses just yet. The plow came with the cylinders so maybe one day I'll upgrade.

should push snow perfectly!
Feel free to stop over an take it for a spin. Please wait until is -2 degrees and we have 18+ inches of snow. I'm pretty sure I'll be ready to tap out at that point.

Thanks Mike, I was going to make it hydraulically actuated but I don't feel like getting into running a new remote switch and hydraulic hoses just yet. The plow came with the cylinders so maybe one day I'll upgrade.

Feel free to stop over an take it for a spin. Please wait until is -2 degrees and we have 18+ inches of snow. I'm pretty sure I'll be ready to tap out at that point.
if there is that much snow i have no way to get there lol so please come pick me up. i'll bring my heated jacket

Reactions: 1 user
New car added to the fleet yesterday. 120k mile 84' 4 banger, almost rust free! Perfect candidate for "surgery" 300 mile round trip in the snow and ice to get this sucker but it was worth it!!

Has anyone ever seen factory foxbody interior like this?
2017-01-08 11.11.29.jpg

2017-01-08 11.12.27.jpg

2017-01-08 15.37.22.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
IMG_5965.JPG
IMG_5964.JPG
Out in the shop last night from around 530p until 11:30p with Nick and some friends .

Got the alt swapped on mean green , Got our other buddies car all together and fired up as well .

Reactions: 4 users