87 5.0 Troubleshooting & Solutions

Yeah it's ok except header clearance and water pump snout. Fans are in front of radiator until I find a way to move it forward. They did an awesome job considering the $2000 budget.

Turns out silicon gasket material is basically impossible to dissolve. Apparently hexane and trichloroethylene work but I don't want cancer. Sulfuric acid too but there goes the aluminum. Wonder if I can mix some inhibitors with the sulfuric.... hmmm

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Just do a 351 dart block with big twins...

IMG_00008978_edit_zpsrk8mfe1b.jpg

Interesting story behind this one. It was built for a rivalry between friends, the other car being a big turbo Supra. Previously running n/a with spray, the fox couldn't catch it. So the man started this, died, and his son has almost finished it. He's shooting for over 1000 wheel with final tune.

Last edited:
Here is the pump. I'm going to put a fan on it to help dissipate heat. Only problem is water coming from engine will stir up bucket, not allowing crap to settle.

A filter that will flow enough for this pump probably won't catch much. #nofilter

IMG_00009009_edit_zpsgbkmihvt.jpg

It's a helluva pump. Collapsing the garden hose on intake side. Going to use 1/2" vacuum hose instead.

The only thing this setup is not good for is particulate dropout. Water coming into the bucket stirs everything up. A lower speed/volume pump wouldn't stir it up as much but then it wouldn't clean all the coolant passages very well. Whatever, don't care. Once the crap is worked loose it will come out in the final rinse anyway.

Circulation is reverse to normal coolant flow because it was more convenient and works with gravity. Also I'm running the pump in reverse anyway due to current belt setup so if I start it during the flush it won't work against itself. But it will probably outflow the pump and make a mess Piss.

I'm not sure there are any advantages to doing this vs. just running the wash mix (sodium citrate) and driving it around. This is much more fun.

Last edited:
New setup with garden hose to 5/8" barb and rubber hose. Can't filter while pumping because it restricts flow. Running it for about 20 min with fan on it, then stop pump to let it cool & filter water.

IMG_20160406_205156_edit_zpsosebanmf.jpg

It's doing this thing where one cylinder kicks in an out randomly. Sometimes it comes on under throttle. Sometimes not. I have new plugs and wires, dizzy, coilpack.

Maybe a bad contact in the dizzy? If the plug wires rest against each other does it cause this? Or exhaust manifold gasket leak...

Random makes it hard to troubleshoot. However, it's done this since I first got it so that rules out everything I mentioned.

If you haven't dumped the codes recently, now would be a good time to do it again...

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL(Check Engine Light) isn’t on. I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

After the drift event it wouldn't start. Fried another main relay. Plastic melted around one relay pin.

Checked around the engine, thankfully no wires getting melted. Last time relays blew it was a wire against the cylinder head.

And the ecm continues silent treatment. Might send it to Guantanamo for some unethical interrogation.

Ok, distributor. That wasn't so bad after all.

After the drift event it wouldn't start. Fried another main relay. Plastic melted around one relay pin.

Checked around the engine, thankfully no wires getting melted. Last time relays blew it was a wire against the cylinder head.

And the ecm continues silent treatment. Might send it to Guantanamo for some unethical interrogation.

Ok, distributor. That wasn't so bad after all.
Interesting story, it is just that - a story. No details to clue us in on what actually happened.

Which relay , what color wire & stripe, which pin in the relay?

Miata 'main' or 'fuel injection' relay.
The melted wire I fixed was yellow with red stripe. Sorry this might not be a good place to post since it involves Miata parts.

I suspect it's caused by something retarded I did previously.

IMG_20160417_180626_edit_zps8af41cwv.jpg
][/I

Last edited: