87-93 5.0's, does the rear brakes function under braking?

• Sponsors (?)

yes they absolutely function, why have them if they didnt? you have never locked your rear tires? its more than 80/20 but im not sure what it is...the front brakes arent relied upon THAT much...the e-brake only locks the passenger side rear wheel.

QUICK91LX said:
yes they absolutely function, why have them if they didnt? you have never locked your rear tires? its more than 80/20 but im not sure what it is...the front brakes arent relied upon THAT much...the e-brake only locks the passenger side rear wheel.

I believe it's somewhere around 70-30, but the front brakes are heavily relied upon. You'd be hard pressed to stop with just the rears, but can absolutely do so with the fronts (although I wouldnt recommend it).

Back when I had drums, the self adjusting mechanisms allways never worked...so every time I went to the track my rear breaks seemed to fade heavily. Even so, she still stopped fine.

Also, the e-brake should lock both wheels, as you have cables going to both left and right sides.

actually it's around 75to80 front,25to30 rear.that's why under normal braking you'll go through 1 or 2 front brake sets to 1 rear.i don't know on your car but on mine the e-brake locks both rear brakes,if i didn't lock but one then why do they have 2 e-brake cables?

nope never locked the rears... maybe the brakes are old...i've never done it in either of my mustangs.... another reason why i assumed they didn't was because doing brake stands is so easy. i guess that is just tearing up rear brakes... (as well as tires :nice: )

The bias is a little off. Keep in mind, the fronts do not brake evenly because the driver's side wheel sees direct line pressure from the MC and the pass wheel sees it after the prop valve. That's why the driver's side wheel will always lock first.

The rear brakes are absolutely functional. If you had no rear brakes, you'd know it!

After changing the rear shoes, and before they were fully adjusted, my braking performance was horrible.

Don't know the exact ratio of braking that the rears do, but I'll bet it changes quite a bit depending on certain variables -- vehicle loading, speed, brake pressure, brake temperature, etc.

The problem is that the drum brakes tend to be somewhat grabby. Threshold braking is pretty tough. You can be braking just great, then with just a hair more brake pressure, the rears lock up completely. When this happens the ratio probably goes to about 90/10, front to rear, and you can really feel the loss of braking perormance.

I was thinking more like 60/40... You lose like 1/3 of your braking power with nonfunctional rears, and that's as long as you don't brake so hard that the traction of the front wheels alone isn't enough. If your brakes aren't powerful enough or wheels are locking up you need to look at the brakes. Even properly maintained stock 4 banger brakes can lock all 4 wheels at highway speed with a violent stab to the pedal. (Ok I have anger management issues)

Haha fox brakes what a joke. More like 80% front 0% rear. Seriously the brake setups on our cars SUCK. They were overpowered and underbraked from the factory and Ford knew it too. I experianced this one night when i had to slam my brakes at 130+ mph. Lets just say it toasted the front tires completely and the rears didnt even think about locking up. I almost wonder sometime if I have rear brakes. I wish I had the money for atleast rear disc but I always seem to blow it on other stupid crap.