94 5.0 Aode Carb Swap

Have spent weeks researching how to keep an AODE in a 94 GT after doing a swap to carb short of an expensive controller. I don't want to change trannys and have a great shift kit in it. The car hardly sees the street except for Mustang Week trips and driving to the track. I've read a ton of stuff on the subject but no "cheap" answers so far. HELP!
Sam

• Sponsors (?)

I'm afraid you've probably already found the best answer - the use of an aftermarket controller. The other options are to change to an AOD transmission (no E), another non-electronic auto (C4, etc.), go to a fully manual valve-body for the AODE (manually shifted at the lever), or a perhaps a manual / T5 swap.

I'll assume you've read up on the carb swap and understand why you're doing it. In general, I think it's a bad idea, especially since our cars are so easily tuneable and generally reliable keeping the EFI, and are capable of making as much power as a stock 302 block can handle (with performance upgrades like H-C-I, some up-sized injectors and a tune / matched MAF). Unless you're an absolute wizard at carb tuning, the EFI is going to beat you on the track every time, much less with reliability, tuneability, and emissions. It really is trading down for most people.

With that all said, another option (if you've kept the electronic ignition and computer) would be to add a TPS to the carb. Assuming it's a Holley carb, it's a very cheap option to keeping the computer happy. For the most part, the only major sensor absolutely required is the TPS. Without an MAF, you won't have optimal settings, but the car should still run (and can probably be tuned to run pretty well in Open Loop). Theoretically you could also keep the MAF happy if you used used a carb-hat and adapted a snorkel. Disclaimer: I've never done any of this, but I assume it's theoretically possible.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-534-214?seid=srese1&gclid=COTe9qjvjMMCFRUkgQodYIQApQ

If you've pulled the electronics and are running an aftermarket ignition, the first options I mention are probably the best.

Last edited:
You have my attention, thank you! This is my 19 yr old daughters car that she has raced since she was 14. It barely sees the street except for me getting her at the dorm, going to the track and racing. I do want it streetable enough to drive to Mustang Week though. I have now a fairly stock 5.0 with 4.10 gears and a great shift kit. I'm 55 and cut my teeth on Mopars and can tune/build a carb no problem. A manual trans is a no as we drag race mostly. I'd rather transbrake and manual valave body rather than rely on a stand alone scenario and the cost thereof. Then she could race modified and top classes. Our experience with the stock stuff is that it never does the same run twice, very inconsistant. I understand the computer in a 1994 5.0 is very limited. I'm all ears if you have an EFI solution. Thanks Sam

Hi Sam, well I'm a computer geek at heart so I'm a big fan of the stock computer. With a little time and effort, as well as a chip and tuning software, you can do all of the tweaks (and many many more) you might make to a carb from a laptop without ever turning a wrench / screwdriver or buying parts / jets / gaskets / etc. It's a far more powerful computer than the Fox unit, and if the parameter exists, you can tune it (shift points, mixtures, pump shots, power valve settings, you name it). My '95 runs a turbo, stock computer, self-tuned, though I only hit the track as an amateur. I have hit the high-11's, I'm not going to try for more until the kids are grown and I get a cage.

I also grew up with carbs (my other car is a Mustang II) so I have a love / hate relationship with them (easy to bolt on yes, easy to tune not so much, easy to start in a Cleveland winter heck no). But you have your preferences so those are obviously the most important to what you do with your / your daughter's car.

I think your long-term goals are most important. An AODE isn't the strongest transmission by far, though it can be built up quite a bit, and a manual valve body would fit for street / strip use if you don't mind the extra motions (a nice shifter would probably help). If it were me, and I had plans to make it a 9 second car, I'd go with a built C4.

But to be honest none of this is speaking from experience, both of my Mustangs are manuals, so there's got to be better opinions out there. The SN95 section of this site is pretty small, you might try posting the question in the general / Fox forum.