Progress Thread 95 2-Top Cobra Build Thread- Never ending

• Sponsors (?)

You don't have a MSD box or anything like that right? You need to eliminate as many vairables as possible.
Nope, no MSD box. Car ran okay but started having suspected spark blow out recently after having no issues. Tuner suggested checking base timing and then regapping plugs down to .028 next but car went down after base timing check

Are you sure you have the distributor stabbed on the compression stroke?

Never mind, just read your last post (hit the thread when I was typing my post) so it sounds like you did not pull the dizzy prior to it not starting.

Are you sure you have the distributor stabbed on the compression stroke?

Never mind, just read your last post (hit the thread when I was typing my post) so it sounds like you did not pull the dizzy prior to it not starting.
Yep definitely the compression stroke. For an update, I reset timing at stabbed at 10° and car cranks but won’t start. I also noticed that the CEL didn’t go out while cranking which points me to a PIP failure. I have a new autozone warrantied distributor that I will try tomorro. If that works, I still won’t drive the car on it as I don’t need another breakdown. I will either have to pony up and buy the expensive DUI or rebuild my OEM

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
Back on daily duty to campus! Also a little update on the interior look
IMG_3280.jpeg
IMG_3279.jpeg
IMG_3278.jpeg
IMG_3277.jpeg
IMG_3276.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Back on daily duty to campus! Also a little update on the interior look
IMG_3280.jpeg
IMG_3279.jpeg
IMG_3278.jpeg
IMG_3277.jpeg
IMG_3276.jpeg
Later this night, the car shut off during a pull in second gear. Luckily it was by my house and I was able to coast it within a tenth of a mile and push it the rest. Did some diagnostics and lo and behold it was the MSD coil that took a dump. Don’t know why I still had it on at this point. Threw OEM Coil back on and all is well
IMG_3341.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
OEM coil had the car breaking up at anything past 5k.. just hit the bullet and ditched MSD and parts store replacements and went for the Performance Distributor Screamin Demon coil and she hauls! Revs clean to redline once again

Reactions: 1 users
Have been neglecting this car a little bit as with the unreliable run lately haven’t had the will to wash her really. After about 2-3 months, finally got around to cleaning and shining her up
IMG_3497.jpeg
IMG_3498.jpeg
IMG_3499.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Small update: car is now running a screaming demon coil and an MSD Digital 6AL and absolutely zero spark blowout. With OEM coil and screaming demon to a lesser extent was still having issues in high rpm. The box took care of it

Reactions: 1 user
Just clocked 114k miles on the Cobra which puts me at 16,244 miles under my ownership. The car has come a long way in these past few years for sure. Sucks I’m fighting an airbag code 34 that only comes on for first start of the day for the pic but I’ll get to it!
IMG_4055.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Where did you end up mounting the MSD? The Digital 6AL is a pretty good sized box.

Unfortunately, I think you've been down a path many of us go through where one upgrade mandates another. Some of my past projects turned into emergency parts runs / orders, multiples longer in duration, and +$$$ to sort out. If you can survive the process, it's that much sweeter when you can finally enjoy the fruits of your labor.

In terms of the ignition systems, I can remember diagnosing bad stock coils 25 years ago after an HCI upgrade. My friend's '86 ran fine for a couple months following the engine build, then it started cutting out at high rpm, then 4k rpm, then 3k rpm.... I think the extra revs and load took it's toll on the factory coil which is probably spec'ed at the limit for a stock 5.0. He replaced it with a Blaster coil and it was fine for regular blasts to 7k rpm, but his car wasn't supercharged like yours, which only compounds the load on the ignition system.

I'm really glad to hear that you've got it sorted. Hopefully now you can drive her and have fun, without the anxiety of the past issues. Car looks great by the way! =)

Where did you end up mounting the MSD? The Digital 6AL is a pretty good sized box.

Unfortunately, I think you've been down a path many of us go through where one upgrade mandates another. Some of my past projects turned into emergency parts runs / orders, multiples longer in duration, and +$$$ to sort out. If you can survive the process, it's that much sweeter when you can finally enjoy the fruits of your labor.

In terms of the ignition systems, I can remember diagnosing bad stock coils 25 years ago after an HCI upgrade. My friend's '86 ran fine for a couple months following the engine build, then it started cutting out at high rpm, then 4k rpm, then 3k rpm.... I think the extra revs and load took it's toll on the factory coil which is probably spec'ed at the limit for a stock 5.0. He replaced it with a Blaster coil and it was fine for regular blasts to 7k rpm, but his car wasn't supercharged like yours, which only compounds the load on the ignition system.

I'm really glad to hear that you've got it sorted. Hopefully now you can drive her and have fun, without the anxiety of the past issues. Car looks great by the way! =)
Right under/infront of the power pipe on that flat area. Basically on the mirror side of the battery. Thanks for the kind words

Got tired of plowing through the Duralast Distributors with their fault PIPs. In about 4 months I’ve gone through 6 of the parts store ones. I finally broke down and took advantage of the small sale from LMR and got the Performance Distributor Hot Forged Distributor. $232 out the door and hopefully will be the last distributor I buy!
IMG_5194.png

Reactions: 2 users
Have you checked out these guys?
Performance Distributors

They've been around for a long time. I haven't run one personally since I could always find Motorcraft, but my friends running GM engines have used their HEI distributors without any issues. This was the only other non-OEM replacement that I have considered.
I should've done this from the jump! I've got their coil which has been excellent and now I am upgrading to their distributor

Reactions: 1 users