96 cobra swap!

Jarred Capp

Jan 22, 2012
Dallas, TX
ok brand new on this forum, first one ever apart of

I have a 96 GT im Looking for a cobra swap(of course)

so a few questions..

do I need a different harness for the swap?
what about motor mounts?
Can I use my sct tuner on this new motor as long as its a 96-98 cobra motor?

Oh and im looking for a clean cobra motor live in the Dallas area!

thanks agian friends

• Sponsors (?)

same harness, same mounts, same tuner.

you will need:
8 bolt flywheel (mk8 engine is same as a gt 6 bolt)
b head cobra fuel rails
4v exhaust manifolds or headers
24lb injectors (can get from mk8)
tune for stock gt computer with the limiter at 7000rpm and 24lb injectors.
imrc delete plates, or just make your own. or wire them to a window switch
thermostat housing with lower radiator hoses (can get from a mk8)

its a very easy swap, you NEED 4.10 gears or better, better being 4.56's.

a mk8 engine is the same, except for the intake mani, and intake cams (bout 30 hp).

Reactions: 1 user
4V engines also have knock sensors, which I'm sure the 2V engines don't have. So you will need to delete them.

Are trying to use a 2V wiring harness on a 4V engine? Or are you asking if the 4V harness can be re-used with the 2V ECU?

Pros/ cons of each if even possible?
Your best bet is to get a 4V wiring harness and a 4V ECU. If the engine has coil packs then you will need a 96-98 harness and ECU. If it has COP style ignition then you will need 99+ harness and ECU.

A 2V ECU can be used but you will have to delete the IMRC plates or rig them to stay open, like Mr. Rustypwnz said. However this is not always desirable because you will lose low end grunt. It's more of a preference thing tho...because some people like the IMRCs deleted while others don't.

Also like I mentioned before the 4V engines have knock sensors which 2V engines were not equipped with. So you yon't be able to use those with a 2V ECU. There may be other differences between the 4V and 2V that may cause problems if you use the wrong ECU so again you're better off just using the correct stuff.

If I were you I'd look for a used engine that is complete with the harness. And I'd look for a Mark VIII ECU if you're using a 96-98 Cobra engine. This is because the Mark VIII stuff is always cheaper. You can tune the car with a tuner that is compatible with the engine/ECU you have.

I would like to revive this old thread and see what thoughts are on doing a swap for a 98 gt using a cobra engine from a 97. Is it worth to swap from the from the 97 to the 98 gt or try to fix the 97? The 97n has some minimal front end damage but air bag was deployed

I would like to revive this old thread and see what thoughts are on doing a swap for a 98 gt using a cobra engine from a 97. Is it worth to swap from the from the 97 to the 98 gt or try to fix the 97? The 97n has some minimal front end damage but air bag was deployed

In terms of which body to use, that is entirely up to you. If the 98 is in rough shape and the 97 is in better shape then go with that body. GT and Cobra shells are the same. Bumpers, Hoods and interior are the main differences. The airbag is a non-issue as you can literally bolt in a new airbag, the 98 airbag or eliminate it all together.

The engine in the 97 Cobra is a 305 hp 4.6 DOHC and the 98 is a 225 hp 4.6 SOHC. Obviously if both of these cars are sitting in your driveway, then you have everything you need to bring the Cobra back to life.

In terms of which body to use, that is entirely up to you. If the 98 is in rough shape and the 97 is in better shape then go with that body. GT and Cobra shells are the same. Bumpers, Hoods and interior are the main differences. The airbag is a non-issue as you can literally bolt in a new airbag, the 98 airbag or eliminate it all together.

The engine in the 97 Cobra is a 305 hp 4.6 DOHC and the 98 is a 225 hp 4.6 SOHC. Obviously if both of these cars are sitting in your driveway, then you have everything you need to bring the Cobra back to life.
I wish I could have both in my driveway! Lol but I already have three trucks, a enclosed trailer and the 98 gt.

I bought the 98 as a project with intentions of fixing all the cosmetic issues and get the car repainted back to the original black. The 98 had a bad knock when I bought it so I’ve replaced it with a 4.6 out of a 2000 gt so it has the PI engine. This 97 cobra I’m looking at seems to have a better body than my 98 other than the car has some minor body damage such as the front bumper, headlight, and driver side front fender and the air bag on the steering wheel. And there’s a small issue with some paint peeling on the rear bumper

I’ve decided to try to sell my 98 and put that towards getting the 97 cobra as from I can tell from pictures would be a better project than what I currently have. Plus it has some extra mods I haven’t had the time or money to put into the 98