98 4.6 in a 99, what will i need?

I have a 98 4.6 with everything (acessories and MAF EtC) but i need to know what else i will need? Also, the guy i got the motor from took it out in a hurry so all hoses and electrical was cut instead of disconnected, where can i find all these hoses and such to replace and what do ya think it would cost? Also what kind of headers should i get?

thanx,
ryan

• Sponsors (?)

Why would you put a 98 4.6 into a 99??????? 99+ Have better heads, and everyone that has a 98 wants to put the 99+ heads on. Anyway, you will need a new wiring harness which will be pretty expensive if you go through ford. You are better off going through a junkyard to get the extra parts you need.

i see you probably have a v6... Which 98 is fine go for it!!! I bet you got it a lot cheaper than a 99 up sohc... But before dropping it in I would put some pi heads on it... And probably headers do it now when it is out!!! New gaskets and you will be ready!!! Just remember 01 gt heads you can use the valve covers u have now!!!

i got a damn good deal i couldnt pass up.

i got a 98 4.6 out of a wrecked car for $500 with everything but computer, wiring harness and a few other things, i have a mac flowpath cat back and im lookin at headers and h pipe, hop fuly this will work out, i cantg wait to be in the 4.6 fourms officialy :) but anyway, what do you guys think? how hard is my challenge will be? by the way, can i keep my stock aode trans? I have heard yes's and no's ?

thanx,
ryan

There were a lot of changes in 99. You will need to find the PCM for a 99+ GT, fuel rail and COP with the wiring. Otherwise it should be pretty straightforward. After you get everything in though, you will have to take it in to get the PATS reprogrammed before it will start. :nice:

hmm...

So does anyone know for sure if my tranny will or will not bolt up? if it cant could i just get a bell housing from the GT autos? also whats the "PATS" thing about? oh yeah and most importantly...does anyone know where i could get parts for cheap for this motor? especialy the hoses and things because theyve all been cut... :shrug:

Thanx for all the help and tips so far
Ryan

you cant just get a bellhousing, ford changed the design on their automatics starting with the AOD i believe where the bellhousing is part of the transmission case. PATS is Passive Anti Theft System, thats what your key is, you have to figure out how to get it to work with the older ECM. i think ive said this before, but if michigan is anything like california with smog regs, youre gonna be illegal because youre putting an older model motor into a newer model year body

bdcardinal said:
you cant just get a bellhousing, ford changed the design on their automatics starting with the AOD i believe where the bellhousing is part of the transmission case. PATS is Passive Anti Theft System, thats what your key is, you have to figure out how to get it to work with the older ECM. i think ive said this before, but if michigan is anything like california with smog regs, youre gonna be illegal because youre putting an older model motor into a newer model year body
I doubt it... California seems to be the only bitchy State to do that unless I stand corrected :shrug:

heres whats going on

I have the motor in the garage, i can put it in as soon as i have everything i need and know everything i need to know, thats where you guys come in, so far you've been great help, hopefuly you guys can help me out a little more... but i guess heres the steps i need to accomplish in order to put it in...

-Get all new hoses (current ones are cut) Where can i get them?

-Determine if my AODE will or will not bolt up to the 98 4.6?

-Get proper computer. Should i get a 1998 mustang GT auto trans computer? Where?

-Determine if mounts on the 4.6 or my 3.8 will suit?

-Figure out if i need a wiring harness, and where to get one?

-figure out what all hoses and wires are for ( Is there any ford manuals that could help me out?)

-Figure out what wil happen with the PATS?

-Will i need a GT gage cluster?

oh yeah and i heard that the fuel pumps in a v6 are good for up to 300 HP, true?

Thanx again.
Ryan

I have some of the parts you will need.

99 4.6 engine wiring harness
8 coil on plug units
99 4.6 fuel rails and injectors
99 upperplenum with throttle body( you may or may not need it)
I have no freaking clue what all of this is worth but if you are serious shoot me a PM.

billyfe390 said:
I have some of the parts you will need.

99 4.6 engine wiring harness
8 coil on plug units
99 4.6 fuel rails and injectors
99 upperplenum with throttle body( you may or may not need it)
I have no freaking clue what all of this is worth but if you are serious shoot me a PM.

The injectors, throttle body and plenum are identical on the 98-01, but he will need the fuel rail, wiring harness and COP (coil on plug) modules. Also the PCM is different. :nice:

kovacs22 said:
Will the computer and fuel rails work on my car since its 99 with 98 4.6 ? If so looks like i know where i am getting my computer and fuel rails :hail2:

thanx guys,
ryan

98 fuel rail will not work on a 99 engine because the 99 has a returnless fuel system and the 98 doesn't. Also, you could not use a 98 PCM in a 99 because the VSS on the 98 goes directly to the speedometer, and on the 99 it only goes to the PCM. The PCM controls both the speedometer and odometer reading on the 99+ but not on the 98. A V6 PCM will not work on a V8 either. You can't use the 99 PCM on the 98 motor without changing out the coils because the 98 uses 2 coil packs, and the 99+ uses 8 COP modules. The fuel rail and PCM off any 99+ GT will work on a 98 motor as long as you change the coils and wiring. I didn't understand exactly what fuel rail and PCM you were talking about, so hopefully this answered your question. :nice: