a 66 coupe i want to look at

68RustBucket

Sep 27, 2003
Linwood, NJ
As the title says, there is a 66 Coupe i want to take a look at. It has been for sale for quite a while, and i think i know why. The car is white w/ gold stripes and has GT350H markings. Of course, this is not a true GT350H because it's not a fastback and i think all those cars were black w/gold stripes. so all in all, this is just a plain ol 65 Coupe, 289 Hi-Po, and C4.

The paint is either old or just piss poor, magnum 500 wheels are dirty lookin, and the hood is not exactly sitting flush. aside, i have not taken closer inspection except i took a peek underneath and noticed that there seems to be little or no rust in the floor and rails. i'll take a closer look tomorrow, but i'd like to know 1 thing:

if this car is in a drivable condition (strong enough motor for daily driver), good interior, and so-so body (but no rust), then what do you think i might be able to offer the guy for the car? i'll have to run the VIN and get more info, but this is all i have for now. give your best guess with what i've told ya. thanks guys

~jake

• Sponsors (?)

mfp4073 said:
289 hipo...check the vin for the k....makes a big difference.

Makes a huge difference, I thought I was getting a steal on my K-code '66, when they sold it as a regular coupe (maybe they don't know what they have kinda thing). The car has a "k" but the engine is an "A". :(
I still believe it is a factory GT though! :nice:

i'm gonna go talk to the guy later today, probably around my lunch break. i'll take my digital camera with me and take some good detailed pictures. here are a few hypothetical situations you might be able to give me estimates on, though:

1) The car is a 66 A code 289 built to a Hi-Po later on. bondo in a few places, but runs strong enough for a daily driver.
2) truly a 66 K code 289, bondo in a few places. runs strong enough for daily driver.
3) 289 A code built to Hi-Po. no bondo, runs strong.
4) real 289 K code. no bondo, runs strong.

all in all, i think i would want to make this my show car, so it's just a 66 Coupe to me. If the guy wanted to make it into a GT350H (or GT350 for that matter) he should have done it right. Fastback, gold on black (blue on white for GT350). In my eyes, he's just decreased the overall value of the car by making it look very unoriginal and not doing a good job at all. Kinda pisses me off, but to each his own. If i can get a good deal out of this car, i will. Suggestions are welcome.

this is the info i got from the VIN and Data Plate:

Built Apirl 4, 1966 in Metuchen, NJ as a Hardtop 289 2v, production number 327,000. Standard interior, Tahoe Turqoise Metallic, Black crinkle vinyl w/ Black rosette vinyl. DSO is Jacksonville. Axle and trans numbers were unreadable.

unfortunately my camera's battery decided to go low right when i started to take pictures so i'll save them for tomorrow. any ideas how much i can offer this guy if the car is in so-so condition considering what i've told you?