a Highway monster? A few questions.

Highway High

Dec 31, 2002
Here pretty soon, I am purchasing my brother's '91 5.0. I want to turn this thing in to a highway monster. I am looking for a real meaty mid to top-end powerband. What are some mods I should do to do this? I am ditching the cats soon, so x-pipe or h-pipe? Also, I am going to upgrade the cam. Which one should I get?

Also, on another note. I am going to try to turn this into an auto-x and road course car too, but it has an aod. I really dont want to have to deal with swapping out the auto for a 5 spd, so is there any auto setup that will really be able to compete with the 5 speed, or should I just not even try? I really appreciate all the help. Thanks.

Logan

• Sponsors (?)

from what i have read and seen on the occasional dyno pull is that the x-pipes make a little more top end with a sacrifice to torque and vice versa for the h-pipe.

if you are serious about turning a fox into a highway monster then your main obstacle to overcome is aerodynamics. you might want to review what you are going to be doing to the car and plan the cam around the package. or if you want to be cheap about it you can get an FRPP alphabet cam. im not 100% sure but i think the FRPP B303 cam is the best for top end. i hope someone corrects me if i am wrong.

your gonna want to get in touch witn ed curtis to burn you a custom cam for the high end my blower cam he burnt me comes in at 2200 and goes to 5300rpms. but they are 325$ also a blower would help you too. you cant go wrong with a X or H but im sure the prochamber is better than them all. and long tubes are the best choice.