? about holding 2nd in AOD

ill advised

Apr 29, 2003
West L.A.
Ok, after spending a good hour and a half browsing the aod posts I have a simple question.

In normal driving, does it harm the tranny to: Start out in "D", allowing it to shift into 2nd gear, then manually shift back to "L" so it'll hold a bit longer? I suppose this isn't much different than the 1-d-1 shuffle but I'm not doing this at WOT. I know I can force a downshift by giving it more gas but that actually seems harder on the car and it still shifts right back into 3rd anyway.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it still will hurt the tranny as it engauges OD when you are in position 1 and the tranny starts to heat up a bit.

Yet, i do it all the time.

I get a kick out of trying to make my AOD sound like a 5-spd. I start with the tranny in 1 and accelerate maybe 50% power up to 3000RPM. Then i let off the gas and shift to D, normally the tranny will just shift to 2 then really quick to 3. But if i time it right, i feed in maybe 40% throttle and pull the shifter back to 1 and the tranny will hit 2nd gear.

Its bad for it, but i never understood the fact that if you get on it from a stop it will run 1st gear all the way up, hit 2nd then 3rd immideately afterwards and cause you to bog. Reason I'm getting rid of the AOD asap.

You can always install a manual valve body so you have to shift for 1st/2nd/3rd and have a button for OD.

Thanks, I won't make a habit out of doing this then. That's a shame 'cause it seems like alot of unnecessary load is being place on the engine (to overcome the gearing). The only time I really feel the need for it is when I'm going uphill. Especially coming off of a wide turn at say 35-40mph. "Hellooooo, whenever you feel like accelerating a little bit let me know". :mad:

i got my aod rebuilt tough with a 2400 stall and a shift kit...it kicks alot of a s s....
chirped second really hard with only a coouple bolt on's...no i did like 100 things to the car with a new 306 so im pretty excited to see what its gonna do..Its not a manual valve body, but its built so that u can actually rip the shifter down into "1" while your driving in D..and it will f ucking jerk into 2nd and take off like a mofo...u can do all that shuffling and it will not harm it at all...its a sweet deal...paid 1500-2000 grand for it tho..

Definately get the TransGo shiftkit or better a Lentech valvebody it does 1-2-3 and has an OD delete button. With the Transgo kit installed you can take off in D floor it and then shift to 1 way after the 1-2 shift like at 4000 RPM, then upshift to 3rd whenever, I shift at 6000 with my setup. 1st goes so quick don't even try to manually shift it because it will shift at about 5500 RPM anyways.

Good Luck, Don

Huh,,I have the trans go kit also.When the shifter is on OD,the car shifts pretty normal.But when you put it in "D" it shifts real firm.I go to the track.and you can leave it in "D",even off the line,my trans go kit came with the "REV GOV.".When you leave it in "D",it holds the 1-2 shift,and the 2-3 shift to 5400rpm,which is perfect for me I have a stock motor :nice: This eliminates the 1-d-1 shuffle which is so bad for your tranny!!

Cool, thanks for the input. A shift kit and tranny cooler are on my short list of mods for the car (mufflers, sub-frame connectors, free mods). As soon as I get the other Stang back up and running I'll get going on this one. Even though this isn't my "race car" we'll see how long I last with the 2.73 outback. :D

You know I used to run AOD and I would shift it manualy when I was on the drag stip. I dont think that it really hurt anything, not saying that it isnt bad for it, but I would start in D and under WOT it would shif into 2nd at 5500, once it shifted I would pull it back into 1( becouse it would shift out at like 4700) to hold it in 2nd andshift back into D at my desired shift point to pick up 3rd. I really only used this method for draging.

if you manually shift it how does it harm the tranny just heat it up more or does it cause something else to happen? I got a 24,000 B&M supercooler and was wondering if I manually shifted it at the track if it would cause problems.