Aftermarket Blocks

loyalblue

Jun 8, 2013
Katy, TX
I'm looking for advice on where to get an aftermarket 351w block that is pretty much machined/finished and ready to build. I found a place that seems to have a lot of finishing work in a DART block for under $2K...here is what is done:
- Main housing bores chamfered - Freeze plug holes and rear cam hole are chamfered - Line honed to at least the middle of the spec or high side if needed - Decked to your dimension - Bore to your spec - Plate honed using the same gasket and hardware that will be used in the end build - Lifter bores checked and honed to the lifters that will be used in the end build - Top of lifter bores chamfered - Bottom of the cylinders chamfered - Tap oil galley holes deeper - Stroker clearance pan rail only - Chamfer Distributor hole for O rings - Cleaned ready to go

Seems like if I bought this block, it's ready to go. If I had a block that didn't have any of the above machining work done, and I took a block to have the services above performed...what would all that machine work cost (ballpark)? I guess what I'm trying to say is if I bought a block for $1600 would the above work put me over $2K or am I better off getting this block, with the machining, for $2K?

• Sponsors (?)

Well Dart blocks seem to be the top choice now. Kind of a tough one. Even if the block comes machined, you will still need to check the bearing clearance and gap the rings.

Kurt

I guess I should clarify...the block I'd be getting for $1600 would be a DART block. So do I get a DART block for $1600 without any of the above work done...or should I spend $2K on a DART block with all the above machining work done to it? What would the the ballpark cost of having the above machining work done? And actually, it's $1700, not $1600 for the block with nothing done to it.

I got that the first time. I should have been more clear myself, I apoligize. I would say it will definitely cost you more to get the block and have it machined. However, if you get the block as advertised with the machine work done, there are still a few more things that need doing that an engine builder usually does for you. Making sure you are up to the task if you buy it premachined.

Reactions: 1 user