Aftermarket Stereo Help?

Hey guys, I just put an aftermarket pioneer cd player in my 89 gt, I used a schosch plug in harness, I have everything connected but the sound wont come through the speakers. The car doesnt have an amp and I tried the speakers with the amp wires hooked up and disconnected, the speakers work fine with the tape player. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Just run all new speaker wire, thats what I did. I picked up a spool of 12 gauge speaker wire for about 20 bucks from wal mart and ran it to all six speakers. Makes a huge difference.

How many feet of wire did you guys use to get to all the speakers? I thought about doing that because I can get top of the line Monster wire nasty dirt cheap at work. I'm sure it sounds better than the stock wires.

in my truck i ran all new wiring, remember its not just how the speakers sound its how they cancel out noise, the foxes are not great in the dampening department, so if the wires are too thin and you start running more power or new frequencies you have a risk of getting feedback through the speakers when driving its kinda like a high pitch whining noise, just something to keep in mind

in my truck i ran all new wiring, remember its not just how the speakers sound its how they cancel out noise, the foxes are not great in the dampening department, so if the wires are too thin and you start running more power or new frequencies you have a risk of getting feedback through the speakers when driving its kinda like a high pitch whining noise, just something to keep in mind
Alt whine is not from speaker wires :nonono: The factory speaker wires in a Fox are 16awg which is fine for 75 wrms. If the car gets the alt whine then its from a couple different things. Poor ground is one. I always run a seperate 10-12 awg ground wire for decks and secure it to the floor or dash board cross bracing. The other way is in an amplified system. If your RCA wires run next to power wires then they can pick it up too. When running amp wires you should have the power wires on one side of the car and the signal wires on the other side. Twisted pair RCAs help with that alot too :nice:

What guage wire should I run from the speakers and how would I hook them up to the cd player. thanks
Since you said you have four long wide plugs then the amp has been dissconected. The plugs to the amp are the same as the the ones that go to the deck so it sounds like you just plugged it into the wrong plug. One is light gray and the other is dark gray but I forgot which is which. On the deck, the purple, green, white, grey wires will all go to one of thoes connectors. Just unplug it from the one you have it hooked to and hook it to the other connector that looks just like it and I bet it will work :shrug:

If you want to run new wires then 16 awg is just fine unless you are planning on a big amp in the future then do 12-14 awg wires :nice:

Alt whine is not from speaker wires :nonono: The factory speaker wires in a Fox are 16awg which is fine for 75 wrms. If the car gets the alt whine then its from a couple different things. Poor ground is one. I always run a seperate 10-12 awg ground wire for decks and secure it to the floor or dash board cross bracing. The other way is in an amplified system. If your RCA wires run next to power wires then they can pick it up too. When running amp wires you should have the power wires on one side of the car and the signal wires on the other side. Twisted pair RCAs help with that alot too :nice:

i never said it was the only cause, but its just one of the causes, i didnt list the other stuff cause he didnt say he was using speakers hooked directly to the HU

i never said it was the only cause, but its just one of the causes, i didnt list the other stuff cause he didnt say he was using speakers hooked directly to the HU
I understand that and never said that you claimed it was the ONLY thing :shrug: I have installed well over 1000 systems and have delt with alt whine on several occasions and never had a speaker wire be the culpriate of the noise.... well i did one time but thats because the previous installer drilled right through the speaker wire with a screw so when the wire would shift it would ground out and cause the whine. :nice:

I understand that and never said that you claimed it was the ONLY thing :shrug: I have installed well over 1000 systems and have delt with alt whine on several occasions and never had a speaker wire be the culpriate of the noise.... well i did one time but thats because the previous installer drilled right through the speaker wire with a screw so when the wire would shift it would ground out and cause the whine. :nice:

ive installed quite a few as well, and i have had the speaker wire be the culprit