Alright gang, built Dart or Coyote?

• Sponsors (?)

So Ford makes a crate engine that makes 580 HP on pump gas NA, with a warranty. I don't think it's unreasonable to get even more out of a Coyote from a respected engine builder who isn't held to the same marketing standards and warranty standards as Ford. Granted, Ford's is much higher in the price range than what most would say is respectable here.

I think you should just show me an example instead of hypothesizing about what else can be done, but in any case, the motor you're referring too appears to be a $27k 5.2L aluminator block (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS) and that one makes 120 hp more than any other NA coyote. Yes, for :poo:s and giggles, I'll go ahead and assume with E85 it'll break through the 500rwhp barrier. I was referring to a 5.0 coyote. Wasn't considering the extra displacement. The displacement alone is worth about 30hp.

Here's a quick google search of a TFS 11R 205cc 363 making 575hp, not sure if wheel or engine dyno: https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/363-dyno-results.2524473/

Here's a 592 crank hp 363 on 91 pump, apparently:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ_wLkRpZ9A

A nitrous motor in this thread went to 622hp@7300 without the spray: https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/363-650hp-what-would-it-take.1693762/

And so on. With a Dart motor, I don't think either has the RPM advantage. I was impressed with the low lift flow numbers on the coyote heads, so I imagine you're going to get more power/c.i... but are you gonna get 20% more (the offset in displacement)? Doubt it.

My takeaway is power potential is NOT a reason to go with the coyote. I can appreciate personal preference, or whatever floats your boat, but I don't think arguing the potential of the motor gets a reasonable person there.

I watched that.
It was interesting.
Looking forward to the long term durability of running a sold roller lifter on a hyd grind.
I run a solid roller in my race engine.
I set the lash at the beginning of the year and don't look at it until the end of the year.
Usually it is still spot on.
I would assume some of that is due to using premium components in every area, no expense spared.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you’re staying N/A I would just like to drop this here as well.

There’s a 460 stroked to 501 for sale on Marketplace rn for $3200. Brand new, full long block. A couple truck based stock motors with low miles for $500.

Additionally, they’re a metric F-ton of 7.3 Godzillas being taken out brand new from fleet vehicles being converted to electric. I like big blocks and I cannot lie. Especially N/A
Where would I find these Godzillas?

I think you should just show me an example instead of hypothesizing about what else can be done, but in any case, the motor you're referring too appears to be a $27k 5.2L aluminator block (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS) and that one makes 120 hp more than any other NA coyote. Yes, for :poo:s and giggles, I'll go ahead and assume with E85 it'll break through the 500rwhp barrier. I was referring to a 5.0 coyote. Wasn't considering the extra displacement. The displacement alone is worth about 30hp.

Here's a quick google search of a TFS 11R 205cc 363 making 575hp, not sure if wheel or engine dyno: https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/363-dyno-results.2524473/

Here's a 592 crank hp 363 on 91 pump, apparently:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ_wLkRpZ9A

A nitrous motor in this thread went to 622hp@7300 without the spray: https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/363-650hp-what-would-it-take.1693762/

And so on. With a Dart motor, I don't think either has the RPM advantage. I was impressed with the low lift flow numbers on the coyote heads, so I imagine you're going to get more power/c.i... but are you gonna get 20% more (the offset in displacement)? Doubt it.

My takeaway is power potential is NOT a reason to go with the coyote. I can appreciate personal preference, or whatever floats your boat, but I don't think arguing the potential of the motor gets a reasonable person there.

I'm sure I can find others as well, if I get time I'll be happy to.

That said, I personally daily drove my 2014 GT for 7 years and almost 100k miles. The Coyote is far superior in every way for a daily driven or street car than the pushrod 5.0 for the same amount of dollars spent. Do you have 100k miles on a Coyote to compare it to? Also the link I posted from LMR is for $22k ($5k cheaper).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can make more power out of the 363 but if you're going to complain that the 5.2 is stroked and not a 5.0 you'd have to make that same complaint against the 363 right? If this is for a race car only then yes, 363 all the way.... street car, Coyote.

I watched that.
It was interesting.
Looking forward to the long term durability of running a sold roller lifter on a hyd grind.
I run a solid roller in my race engine.
I set the lash at the beginning of the year and don't look at it until the end of the year.
Usually it is still spot on.
I would assume some of that is due to using premium components in every area, no expense spared.
ALOT of guys are doing this now In hot street apps . Low lash setup . Basically radical hydraulic with a solid lifter and low low lash .

Current intake is a TF track heat. But a local guy has a brand new Systemax I've been watching.
Track heat is small for a 363 . I wouldn’t run anything but a set of 205 or bigger on them as well . 225 high port , nice hyd roller , tfs r intake . Done by zsr and send it . That dude really builds nice stuff

I'm sure I can find others as well, if I get time I'll be happy to.

That said, I personally daily drove my 2014 GT for 7 years and almost 100k miles. The Coyote is far superior in every way for a daily driven or street car than the pushrod 5.0 for the same amount of dollars spent. Do you have 100k miles on a Coyote to compare it to? Also the link I posted from LMR is for $22k ($5k cheaper).
It's subjective, man. Do we have to chase our tails in circles on what brings the most passion in a daily? Would a Mustang of any kind even be the starting platform for someone who so values minimum NVH, maintenance, or fuel economy?

Since we're talking about a hobby, the subjective matters, because the predominant decision-influencing factor, after budget, is the owner's belief about what would make them the happiest.

The supposed superiority as a daily driver is a boring discussion to me. I've had that discussion about 4.6s, LS's, DOHCs, electric cars, and so on. I guess I'm supposed to swap to a new motor every time a factory comes up with a new design, but the fact is that NVH doesn't matter. In fact, to hell with that, I want my daily to be rough around the edges. Nothing but nothing sounds better than a pushrod 302/351 SBF.

When I cared about fuel economy, driveability, maintenance & repair more than fun, I drove a Saturn. It was prudent. Now I drive what maximizes the smiles. I could own an exotic... I drive a fox. An exotic would not make me happier. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the driveability of Black Jack and my other DART cars drive even nicer. So, race only on a 363? Hardly... That just depends on how you set it up and how much maintenance you want to do. Nothing precludes putting together a mild hydro-roller that never needs to be touched. Why would I want smoother, lower NVH, or better fuel economy? Those things don't make me happiest.

Black Jack has awesome street manners and gets over 20mpg already, and I'm excited about installing the quarter horse and having more fun learning my way around Ford's computer. My other cars are smoother still, and at the moment they're getting better economy, too. I don't daily them for other reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can make more power out of the 363 but if you're going to complain that the 5.2 is stroked and not a 5.0 you'd have to make that same complaint against the 363 right? If this is for a race car only then yes, 363 all the way.... street car, Coyote.

What are we doing here? I'm thinking, though I welcome more information, the 5.2 is going to push NA performance levels into maybe the 550rwhp range. So, if I fully grant your position here, does that get us to an idea that NA power potential is superior? No. So, now what?

In any case, you mischaracterized me, as I didn't complain. I was only caught off-guard because I thought the argument was the best one... about affordable coyotes.

Again, I don't mind if a $27k crate motor is what gets you warm and fuzzzy. I'd rather go the stock block Coyote route than spend that kinda money, but I have no issue making the comparison at all, in fact, because if I budget $27k + fox transplant costs into my Dart 363, I'm still going to end up with that option. I KNOW I wouldn't put that amount into the full 363 replacement, and I'd come out equal or ahead in power and definitely ahead in fun... I know this because I've done it.

Can anyone here give us the actual fair transplant costs? Accessories, computer, wiring harness, engine bay fabrication, etc...? Christ, I'm starting to think you'd have a 363 shortblock paid for before you even put a deposit down on the Coyote. I just kinda figured we were talking about used Coyote from the marketplace, because that's the one that's Dart 363 money after the extra expenses.

Last edited: