Fox Alternator wiring questions in my 83 car

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
So working on wiring my stock 83 alternator....
Had the stock alternator reworked ( and the starter) at the local rebuild shop..
The wiring loom that connects to the back of the alternator is not in the best shape so even though I am not upgrading to a larger Alt, I purchased some 6 gauge wire to run from the BAT terminal on the alternator to the starter solenoid.....
While following the rats next of wires, " welds " and fusible links I found a fusible link between the actual connection from the alternator to the solenoid/battery lug....
My question is do I need to use a fusible link or install a fuse in my new 6 gauge wire between the alt and the solenoid??
FSM says this Alt is 40 up to a max of 65 amps.....
Thanks for any help here

• Sponsors (?)

If you had the alt rebuilt the shop should be able to tell you what it’s putting out. The 6 ga wire can carry up to 65A so if your stock alt is putting out more than that move up to 4 ga.

As for the fusible link…trash it. Get a mega fuse holder and mega fuse that is less than the maximum current carrying capacity of the size of wire you are going to use. So on my cars I used 4 ga power wire and 125A fuses.

Last edited:
65 amps is pretty wimpy.

1983's don't really need a lot of power. What's there to run?

1987's 5-spd cars got the 65A as well and the AOD's got 75A. 75A wasn't across the board until 1988.

Obviously if the car is modified with e-fans and other electrical do-dads that weren't there, the alt should be upgraded.

• Boring
Reactions: 1 users
If you had the alt rebuilt the shop should be able to tell you what it’s putting out. The 6 ga wire can carry up to 65A so if your stock alt is putting out more than that move up to 4 ga.

As for the fusible link…trash it. Get a mega fuse holder and mega fuse that is less than the maximum current carrying capacity of the size of wire you are going to use. So on my cars I used 4 ga power wire and 125A fuses.
So help me here.. Is the fuse to prevent the wire from melting down or from the electrical components from getting a surge??
Or is it to stop a dead short from running away and burning down the car??
thanks

Fuse it to protect the wiring and all components in the circuit. You want it's rating to be less than any of the components in the series, and typically the wire is the lowest rating.

Fuse links burn up and they you are stranded. You can toss a 2nd fuse in the glovebox and swap it on the side of the road. However, size the wire appropriately with good solid connections/crimps and that should never happen.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Yes

And your alternator is still wimpy wimpy wimpy :jester:
General, you have been infatuated with this part on my car that I took off and have been saving it for you.....
DSCF1354.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
And wtf those stupid little things used to be $3 each, now there $8.60 on rock auto ffs. At least the fuses are still under $3 there. Getting tired of seeing stupid normal auto parts double or tripple in price.