Am I messed up for this?

So I bought a CLEAN 5.0 off a guy I knew from highschool, and he had been off and on about selling it for a while. So I wait and keep shooting him the same lowball offer.

Well, I come home for a bit of leave and shoot him the same offer and he bites. So I take the car for a week to take a look at it (Low oil pressure on the gauge, replaced sensor and fixed it) and decide to buy it. He smogs it, I do the title transfer and all that nonsense, then I leave back for Japan.

Well, I have a few buddies who want to buy the car off me and build it like it should be, but I don't feel like selling it. Am I kinda messed up for not selling it to them? I already have my Formula which I sank a ton of money into, and quite frankly, I don't need this car. I feel like just chilling with it. I mean I am nice about it. Like my buddies mustang broke down, so he has been driving it for 4-5 months. Next up, my mom will be driving it when her mustang is getting a new engine.

I kinda feel like I am hogging a clean car with tons of potential, and I am not even living in the US. I just don't feel like selling it.

Would you all be nice and just sell it to a buddy? Or keep it for the hell of it because you can?

• Sponsors (?)

Man, it's your car. You own it. You can do whatever the heck you want with it. I guess I don't understand all this guilt that you seem to be feeling about it. If you don't want it, sell it.

I've had my stang for 9 years and wouldn't even consider selling it, no matter how much my buddies beg and how little I drive it.

I guess I'm just much more selfish than you lol.

I don't plan on selling it... It is going to be my new DD so I can really put the firebird under the knife (paint, t56, major port work). This will probably end up getting some mods, I will def drop a 5 speed in it when I am home next. I just feel bad because I have had 4 buddies try to get it off me, along with my uncle, who I know would make it immaculate and FAST. I guess they will have to try and find another one... I feel I got an awesome deal on the car and they know it.

You wanted it for a long time. Anyone else could have offered to buy it...But they didnt.. Now they will expect you to sell it cheap cause you bought it cheap. Keep it

Reactions: 1 user
Just don't be that guy who lets a car rot and never does anything with it and turns down offer after offer to sell it, and then after so many years the car isn't worth fooling with anymore. Too many great cars fall victim to unrealistic dreams and goals that never come true.

Just don't be that guy who lets a car rot and never does anything with it and turns down offer after offer to sell it, and then after so many years the car isn't worth fooling with anymore. Too many great cars fall victim to unrealistic dreams and goals that never come true.
What does it matter what happens to it if thats what he wants? I'll be the first to say I probably like working on cars more then driving them. Thats no less of a reason to keep it then having a car that never gets driven.

What does it matter what happens to it if thats what he wants? I'll be the first to say I probably like working on cars more then driving them. Thats no less of a reason to keep it then having a car that never gets driven.

Well ultimately i guess it's his choice, but i think it's a shame to let a good car rot away and never have anything done to it when there are people with the passion and drive to make it happen. If "one of these days" never comes around and it sits and rusts away, that's selfish in a way but if it's yours and you own it then that's your choice...it just sucks for the rest of us. I've just heard and seen too many stories about awesome cars that sit and rot away because the owner won't do anything with them but refuses to sell...i just think there's something messed up about that. I'd rather GIVE a car away than watch it slowly turn to dust. To each their own i guess.

Well ultimately i guess it's his choice, but i think it's a shame to let a good car rot away and never have anything done to it when there are people with the passion and drive to make it happen. If "one of these days" never comes around and it sits and rusts away, that's selfish in a way but if it's yours and you own it then that's your choice...it just sucks for the rest of us. I've just heard and seen too many stories about awesome cars that sit and rot away because the owner won't do anything with them but refuses to sell...i just think there's something messed up about that. I'd rather GIVE a car away than watch it slowly turn to dust. To each their own i guess.
I have plenty of friends with beautiful cars that never leave their garages, they're happy with it sitting there and never/hardly driving it. Its ludicrous to think we're more entitled to have that car because we would treat it differently, their car, their choice. Even if that car turns to dust and it makes them happy i'm pretty sure that car has served just as much worth to them as it would to you ragging on it when you have the opportunity.

I have plenty of friends with beautiful cars that never leave their garages, they're happy with it sitting there and never/hardly driving it. Its ludicrous to think we're more entitled to have that car because we would treat it differently, their car, their choice. Even if that car turns to dust and it makes them happy i'm pretty sure that car has served just as much worth to them as it would to you ragging on it when you have the opportunity.

There is a world of difference between "sit and rot" and "beautiful car sitting in a garage". And, it is their choice and their car, just as it's my opinion to think it's stupid to neglect a car when someone else would love it and take care of it. I'm not talking about well cared for garage queens, i'm talking about this:

http://foureyedpride.com/joom/index...-ppg-pace-car-mustang&catid=27:rare&Itemid=42

That link talks about the ONE AND ONLY 1980 PPG Pace Car Mustang. The car is currently sitting in the woods rotting into the Earth because the owner won't come off it. Yeah, it's his right, but i think he's an ******* for it. Sorry, that's my opinion.

That car went from this:
80PC1.jpg

To this:
DSCF00041.jpg

DSCF00032.jpg

DSCF00055.jpg

DSCF00083.jpg

DSCF00017.jpg

DSCF00075.jpg

All because the owner would rather see it rust into the ground than let it go. Now, i honestly don't care what anyone thinks of me for saying it, but it takes a ******* to let a one of a kind rare car like this fall to pieces instead of moving it along into loving hands. Like i said, this is a lot different than a guy who has a nice car and takes care of it.

Heck here's an entire website with nothing but this same crap. http://carsinbarns.com/

Attachments

• 80PC1.jpg
    80PC1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF00041.jpg
    DSCF00041.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF00032.jpg
    DSCF00032.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF00055.jpg
    DSCF00055.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF00083.jpg
    DSCF00083.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF00017.jpg
    DSCF00017.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF00075.jpg
    DSCF00075.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 56
I agree it sucks. But obviously the owner is happy with the car and its location, if not he would have let it go im sure. If that is how the car makes him happy then so be it, me may be a dick to you, but im sure other people who badger him about his choice to care for the car are dicks to him.

I'll also say that if someone wanted one of my cars, even if i wasnt caring for it wouldnt mean jack :poo: to me. It's my car, and i'll do what I want with it, even if that means letting it rot in a field while cats :leghump: in the hatch and birds use it for target practice.

I'm on board with 85_SS. People who let cars rust out are part of the reason I can't find a decent 2nd gen Charger to build within a reasonable price. How is our hobby to continue to the next generation and stay alive if there are no build-able cars to pass on?

To the OP, if you want to keep it, keep it. It is getting used and you plan to use it, let them look for their own Fox.

I'm on board with 85_SS. People who let cars rust out are part of the reason I can't find a decent 2nd gen Charger to build within a reasonable price. How is our hobby to continue to the next generation and stay alive if there are no build-able cars to pass on?

To the OP, if you want to keep it, keep it. It is getting used and you plan to use it, let them look for their own Fox.
Those cars rusting in the fields are also why they are so desirable, if every car manufactured was still intact then it wouldnt be a very rare car, and it wouldnt be worth restoring. Too often people think that because they're ready at the point in time to work on that car their neighbor has when they say it'll happen some day. Means to that person it'll never happen, someday usually happens and if that person lets the car go, someday will never come.

Those cars rusting in the fields are also why they are so desirable, if every car manufactured was still intact then it wouldnt be a very rare car, and it wouldnt be worth restoring. Too often people think that because they're ready at the point in time to work on that car their neighbor has when they say it'll happen some day. Means to that person it'll never happen, someday usually happens and if that person lets the car go, someday will never come.

Well, I'm not a "car collector". So rarity doesn't mean that much to me. I just want one cause they look sweet.

Well, I'm not a "car collector". So rarity doesn't mean that much to me. I just want one cause they look sweet.
So then if rarity doesnt matter why bitch about the cars rotting in fields? If rarity didnt matter no one would care, I know alot of people probably wont get all broken up about a yugo rotting to death, only person that does is the one who wants it but doesnt have it. Doesnt make them any more enttled to it, my father in law's 63 right hand drive porsche sat for thirty years waiting for that "someday" moment and i'm happy to say i was able to finally bring him that day, but it would never have come if he sold it to all the people who offered to "save it" from him. Someday usually comes, if its not from the owner, its from someone down his family line. no one is entitled to it because they want to save it.

So then if rarity doesnt matter why **** about the cars rotting in fields? If rarity didnt matter no one would care, I know alot of people probably wont get all broken up about a yugo rotting to death, only person that does is the one who wants it but doesnt have it. Doesnt make them any more enttled to it, my father in law's 63 right hand drive porsche sat for thirty years waiting for that "someday" moment and i'm happy to say i was able to finally bring him that day, but it would never have come if he sold it to all the people who offered to "save it" from him. Someday usually comes, if its not from the owner, its from someone down his family line. no one is entitled to it because they want to save it.

You and I obviously have different viewpoints on the subject so I'll just leave it at that.