Another control arm question

Shiroelex

There's nothing worse than aut
Founding Member
Aug 23, 2001
Westland, MI
So, I really like my car being as low as it is, but I HATE the launch characteristics of it, and want to get new springs, shocks, and control arms. I will be at the strip frequently next year, and really want a good control arm and drag launch spring for the job, but don't want to lose my good street looks. My question is, are the adjustable control arms what I am looking for? I want to be able to cruise around town with the back end nice and low, then when I want to go to the track, crank the spring perches up real high to fit my slicks back there. Will raising the perches up real high make it launch funny? Will having the perches all the way down let my car ride as low as it is now, with drag launch springs back there?

Here are some control arms I am considering, and a picture of my current ride height.

MMRLCA-2.jpg

026-1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

If those are the springs you are going with, you might want to go to a coilover setup in the front, so you can use a lighter spring for weight transfer at the track and lower the front down when your on the street.

It just depends on the springs you got on the front too, and how much driving vs. handling vs. drag you want out of the car.

I don't really care about handling on the street. I keep all of the fun driving at the track. I was considering coil-overs for the front, but for now I just want to get the rear started since the shocks are toast back there, and I'd really like to ditch those quads.

If you are replacing the shocks and struts too, grab some Lakewoods to pair with a drag spring and the MM LCA's, and I have heard the the HD LCA's have bushings fail, so go with the Xtreme Duty ones.

Man, those extreme duty arms are pricey! It's the difference between $389.95 and $469.95. I'm also sure I can find the HD ones at a discounted price somewhere. Are those metal bushings replaceable? If I have to swap a set out once a year or so, then I can live with that. I'm just gonna throw this out there, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it, but what about the Granatelli weight jackers? I can get a pair of those for $150 from a friend brand new.

gm-ca7998wj_lg.jpg

I can weld, so if crappy welds are a problem on these, then I have it covered.

Attachments

• gm-ca7998wj_lg.jpg
    gm-ca7998wj_lg.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 58
MM extreme duty is the way to go, but with the extremely high ride height of drag springs, even the adjustable spring perches wont give u the look u currently have...I would suggest taking your stock rear springs & cutting them a bit & running the MM XD LCA's. That would give you a good launch & weight transfer, plus have good looks & ride quality on the street.... i dont care what anyone says about cut stock springs, they work fine as long as u have good shocks & struts...My buddy runs 10.09 @139mph with a 1.4 60ft with the same setup I described in the rear....

As far as the HD's versus the XD's... Its true about the poly bushing blowing out. i have had mine blowout 3 times already in the last few years. It will most likely happen the 1st time u go to the track....Pay the extra for the XD's, its well worth it IMO.....

XD's it is then. Thanks, Epik. The springs that are on the car now are C-springs with an unknown amount cut from them, and no isolators. I got them from a friend, and they were on his car already. Will those be fine, paired with some Lakewoods?

XD's it is then. Thanks, Epik. The springs that are on the car now are C-springs with an unknown amount cut from them, and no isolators. I got them from a friend, and they were on his car already. Will those be fine, paired with some Lakewoods?

No prob.....

I would keep your rear springs for now & just get the XD's & see how that works for you... I know that when I went to the track last year, my car did alot better with the perches raised all the way up as opposed to dumped... If those springs dont work for you, i will give u my rear springs for free if you want em since i will be installing my rear coilovers soon... My rear springs are 97 Cobra stock springs with about 3/4 coil cut out....Good luck & LMK....