Anybody here done a "Ghetto Overhaul"??????

unclejackrock

Mar 4, 2003
Glasgow,Ky
You know, tearing her down and honing the bore and polishing the crank journals. Then reassembling w/ new bearings, rings, and seals and reusing the stock pistons, rods, and crank with NO machine work. Opinions....thoughts....pointers???? I am not on a budget......I am robbing from Peter to pay Paul...

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm... I don't know for sure, but I think with the hyperpathetic pistons we have you'd have problems if you honed the bore. Granted, you are not really removing much, but hypers tend to "egg-out" the cylinder walls... you might end up with a loud "slapping" coming from the pistons if they flop around in there afterwards. We rebuilt my dad's motor with a new block and new pistons, but we reused the factory crank and rods and they were not machined at all to the best of my knowledge.

Killercanary said:
Hmmm... I don't know for sure, but I think with the hyperpathetic pistons we have you'd have problems if you honed the bore. Granted, you are not really removing much, but hypers tend to "egg-out" the cylinder walls... you might end up with a loud "slapping" coming from the pistons if they flop around in there afterwards. We rebuilt my dad's motor with a new block and new pistons, but we reused the factory crank and rods and they were not machined at all to the best of my knowledge.

Wellll, I guess I should have specified, (and update my sig), this is on my 92 GT I recently picked up. To the best of my knowledge they have forged in them....Does this change anything????

it can be done but who knows how long it will last. i'd highly recommend you get the block machined tho. if not heres what you do......... buy a haynes manual. it will tell you all you need to know. you can hone the cylinders yourself using a flex hone. its basically a wire brush with stones on the ends. you use the flex hone on a drill with honing oil to remove the glaze on the cylinders producing a 45' cross hatch pattern so the new rings can set it. but before you even start putting everything together or spend time machining anything, your going to have to measure everything and inspect everything. it can be done but be prepared to buy a few specific tools to do the job.

if you need any more help or advice, just let me know. this **** is what i do for a living lol :D