Anybody using a CB?

• Sponsors (?)

It's a K-40 Mag mount.

magnamount.gif

I have personally tested this thing to 120 MPH (on a closed course.... of course). Before that, I had a Radio Shack El-cheapo and it would come off the roof and slam into the rear deck and glass.

Attachments

• magnamount.gif
    magnamount.gif
    62.9 KB · Views: 50
It not REALLY big but you will def be able to see from a good distance away. There IS a cable that runs from the antenna base to the head unit. It's about half the size (in diameter) of a television cable. I run through the hatch seal and place the base just forward of the hatch when I run it.

I put a good coat of wax down on the car prior to setting the mag base up there. Just rub it on, let it haze, and leave it there. Wipe if off when you remove the base.

You'll also need an SWR meter to tune the antenna once you install it. It makes a HUGE difference in range. You can either buy one (they're not very expensive) or you can borrow mine if you promise to return it. I think they're like $30. If you have a CB shop nearby and buy the radio and antenna from them, they'll usually tune it for you for free. It's always best to talk with a CB shop if you can before buying. They can tell you which models are easy to modify for more power. 15W is about as much as you'll want to go. After that, the signal to noise ratio starts becoming counter-productive.

Some of the El-cheapo Uniden CB units you'd find at places like Wallymart are actually great units! Good quality electronics, low noise, and easily modified. They just don't have all the bells and whistles that a $200+ unit might have but perform just as well.

This is also a great unit...
75wxst.jpg

This is what I have in my Suburban. This one is modified for 11-12Watts. All of the electronics are inside the handset. There's only one small metal box that the antenna plugs into that you can install behind center console and out of site. Noce clean isntall.

Attachments

• 75wxst.jpg
    75wxst.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 30
You can hear some funny stuff on the cb. I used to do a lot of work in the West Tennessee / Eastern Arkansas area. Whenever I would roll through West Memphis Arkansas (a lot of truck stops and cb shops) I would hear the hookers advertising on the radio. One called herself "Temperature Rising".
There is a truck stop close to Nashville that advertises it's buffet on the radio. He lists all the vegetables and stuff and then says "...and don't forget that homemade nnnnnnnnanner puddin' ". That cracked me up every time.

We used to mess with this self proclaimed homosexual that went by "Humpty Dumpty"...

He'd blow into the mic and whisper a channel to turn to and then we'd lay into insulting him :lol:

He never learned!

Then there was this guy "Whirly Bird" across the street from us- he was funny... I'm gonna go buy me another one I think :D