AOD : OD is not working... tranny done?

All right, the tranny has like 120k miles on it. Mostly harrassed by a stock 5.0 with just and exhuast and a K&N filter. The overdrive is not engaging, any shot that this might be reparable other than a full tear down???

Would a flush help anything???

Thx!
OUT

• Sponsors (?)

Common problem with the AOD w/120,000 miles.
You burned out the overdrive band within the tranny.
This can be replaced, but you have to drop the trans to do it and if that band is toast, the others will be mostly effected.
So the bad news is, time for a rebuild or a replacement.
Start saving up your money. A stock rebuild will be around $1300 depending on where you go, and a performance buildup or new replacement is gonna rock you $2500.
You might consider a 5spd conversion and get those parts used and be somewhere around the stock rebuild price with labor.
Good Luck.

I had the same problem. You could only have a dead servo, and maybe, just maybe only the OD band needs changing, but with the labor and parts needed to check and change that, along with the overwhelming possiblity that the trans needs a complete overhaul like LX302 said,I would just do a T5 conversion also. Doing all the labor myself, I did the conversion, along with new clutch and flywheel, cost about 1200, give or take, with a junkyard t5.

Same thing happened to mine, but at like only 75K miles!!?? I was really pissed off. I bought the car from my uncle in Florida, and the OD went out on the trip back home(oklahoma). He helped me pay for the rebuild, but it still cost a little over $1300. If I would've known that I could've gotten a t-5 (even if it was used) for the same price...my God I would be a lot happier right now!! Go with a 5-speed if you can!!!

Thx guys... I have a T-5 sitting to go in... when temps get warmer. It would be nice to use the car on the highway until then, but I guess no dice. The capacity of the AOD was what anyway in ft-lbs??? Like stock and little more right?

The T-5 will take an ass whipping with my 351W up front. Eventually I may go Tremec to put confidence in my car as a dependable streetfighter.

JOUT

LX302 said:
Common problem with the AOD w/120,000 miles.
You burned out the overdrive band within the tranny.
This can be replaced, but you have to drop the trans to do it and if that band is toast, the others will be mostly effected.
So the bad news is, time for a rebuild or a replacement.
Start saving up your money. A stock rebuild will be around $1300 depending on where you go, and a performance buildup or new replacement is gonna rock you $2500.
You might consider a 5spd conversion and get those parts used and be somewhere around the stock rebuild price with labor.
Good Luck.

Is the $1300 for parts only or does that include labor to have someone rebuild the tranny? How hard is it to do on your own?

Idwitheld-1` said:
How hard is it to do on your own?

Let me just say.....I wouldn't attempt it. My friend has a C4...which I'm going to assume might be a little easier to work on than one of these AOD's. And he 'rebuilt' his himself. It's crapped out COMPLETELY at least twice, and had to be re-adjusted multiple times. I'd either buy a new, complete tranny, or leave it to a pro to rebuild it.