Aod tag decoding

Looking to do an AOD swap on my 70 Mustang. Got an AOD from a friend, but need to decode the tag to see what I have and what is offered for rebuilding it. The tag is:

PKA DK2
109214 C24
E8SP CA

I'm trying to find out the exact year of car it is from and any other info I need to get the correct parts for it.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hi zincyellow your aod tag decodes as a 1988 ford thunderbird 3.8l (v6)sorry for not replying sooner been busy fixing new fords info is from ford parts dept decoding system......hope this has been helpful

hi again zincyellow my only concern would be the six cylinder trannys usually have fewer clutch discs (I'd have to check this to be sure though) in them (ford likes to keep costs down by putting just enough parts in just to get by) by the time you upgrade all the drums inside the tranny to use more clutch discs (stock # of discs most likely would not hold up to built cleveland) you might be better off finding a tranny out of a v8 application trucks have typically had bigger drums more clutches in them...especially f150,f250,f350 4X4s with aods or look to aftermarket lots of mustangers have had good luck here with lenco stuff I know there costly but so is tow truck drivers who don't take care with classic mustangs..I'll try to find more info on 3.8l tranny later in the week (as to # of clutches...not sure if our parts listing will tell me how much discs are needed....shop manual would if could only find it!!) hopefully I'll post again soon

the aod is a highly under rated trans, i think it mostly a fear of the unknown. as it was based on the fmx, with the right mods, it will handle the power from your cleveland. that being said, you can add frictions to the clutchpacks, simply by using thinner steels and pressure plates. the weakest link in the trans, is the sprag. this can also be upgraded with the mechanical diode from the 4r70w trans. the overdrive servo is another area that is sometimes updated, this can be done by simply dropping the pan. you can swap in the wide ratio gearset from a 4r70w, and this will net you the mechanical diode to boot. so, as you can see, the aod is a great trans, if you take the time to do the research, and dont scrimp when it comes to the rebuild. http://www.baumannengineering.com is an excellent source of knowledge for the aod upgrades.

Thanks for all the info. I was wondering about the clutches on the V-6 vs. V-8. Just trying to do this the most cost effective way. Might have a possibility of exchanging this tranny for a AODE and then I'd have to purchase the Baumannator TCS to control it. Don't know if this would be a better option or not,
by the time I pay for all the upgrades and improvements to the AOD would I be better off going with the AODE w/ the Baumannator TCS & ReCal Pro™ AOD-E/4R70W Valve Body Recalibration Kit?