AOD to T5 Kit or ....

MY90GT

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2000
Louisville, KY
Wanting to switch from AOD to T5 and was wondering if anyone sells a complete kit for the conversion. I'm looking for everything, including everything from the pilot bearing to the clutch pedal. I can find most the parts from the regular parts shops, but hear that some of the parts are getting hard to find, like the clutch pedal assembly, reverse light wiring, thing like that. It would make the job easier if you could just order from one place so you don't miss anything.

• Sponsors (?)

Parts aren't getting rare at all, at least in my neck of the woods

If you pick up a wrecked 5 speed car, you will have everything you need. Scavenge everything 5 speed related, sell the rest of the car off at a profit, that's what I did. Why pay when you can make your money work for you???

Check the corral classifieds. Often you will find people who piece together a complete "conversion" kit, usually for under a grand.

Does anyone sell the clutch pedal assembly without having to go to a junk yard. I've checked the junk yards around here and no one even has a mustang. Will the computer need to be changed or do I just reset it after the conversion.

No. The clutch pedal assmbly in the four banger should be the same, but the t5 is a weak pos that you don't want. I believe the input shaft would have to be changed to use it.

I'm sure you could. I'm not a t5 expert internally wise, but I'm pretty sure a majority of the innards (gears and all) are all different, and it may cost you a very pretty penny to rebuild it to v8 specs. If you are in a hard crunch, and that's all you can come up with, I have heard of people just changing the shaft and using it. Be nice to it, and it may last you till you can save up for a tremec or something like that. As for the rest of the 4 banger hardware....I would imagine that the t5 backup harness from the 4 banger would be the same, as well as the driveshaft. Many people will tell you the aod driveshaft will work fine. It may, but for us it didn't. That driveshaft is about an inch longer than a t5, and for us it just wouldn't go up.

I don't think the driveshaft from a 4 banger will fit because it's not the same length to fit that 7.5 rear end, I believe.

-4 banger pedal assembly
-new adj. quadrant (sp?)
-new clutch cable
-new clutch assembly
-used T5 from V8
-used crossmember from V8 or un-tack the two "pipes" at each end and re-weld them so the crossmember is in the center of it.
-used driveshaft from V8 car
-harness from V8 car

I guess...

You may be right, I was just looking things over in my head. While the input shaft on the 4 banger tranny is different, I don't believe the output shaft is any different. The whole tranny could sit an inch back or so because of that input shaft, but the 7.5 and the 8.8 should be identical as to the mounting area, so that is why I took a stab and guessed they would be the same. Remember, if ford can be lazy and not change something, they will. I guess measuring the driveshafts would be the only way to tell. The 5 speed driveshaft should be about half to an inch shorter than the aod one, so if it isn't, you know it's not the right one.

Yeah i know I was told the AOD and T5 drive shafts aren't the same... Not 100% sure if the 4 banger and V8 are different don't remember what the guy that was explaining all of this to me was saying lol (There was a sweet 67 and couldn't take my eyes away...)

But if you need to get a new driveshaft, get one from a 1995 since it's appearently better and will fit (so I was told). I'm doing a 4 banger auto to V8 auto and was told I need to change the driveshaft by someone who has done 4 swaps last year. :shrug: