Drivetrain Aod to T5 shifter Question

I am in the process of an Aod to t5 swap on a 1990 notch. Is there any difference in the steering column between the two columns? Is there any wiring differences? When I got the car the Aod shifter was already removed so, I did not get to see the original wiring for myself.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

The differences are the transmission harness under the car, the o2 sensor harness, and the computer. Without modification the reverse lights won't work. If a 5 speed computer is used the jumper in the o2 harness should be swapped around. You don't have to source new harnesses but will need a t5 reverse switch pig tail for the side of the trans. O2 sensor harness can have the wires swapped around but don't do it unless changing the computer. Computer isn't necessary but makes it a little easier to drive.

Unless you want it to look factory under the console and carpet I never saw the point of doing hump...:shrug:

I swapped my first one back in highschool with out the hump, and my current one is swapped with out the hump....zero issues with either

That’s really the only reason. I originally did it without the hump.

I did it when I went through my interior a couple years ago just to get a better fit with the lower shifter seal. Other that that not necessary really.

Reactions: 1 user