Behold- Fox Body Cupholders

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
The age old question- why doesn't the fox body come with factory cupholders? While at the JY I saw an in dash slide out coin/cupholer in a Taurus that looked like it might work. After an hour or so of dremel work on the cupholder, clearancing the trans tunnel with a board and BFH, I had to move the radio down and trim about 2 inches off the back of the cup/coinholder with a dremel. Still have to work a little on the bezel, but I think it's pretty cool to have slide out cupholders now. Disregard the crappy old leather shifter boot. New one is on it's way.
20160903_151716.jpg
20160903_151732.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Good work. Not sure that would work with a 5spd though. I feel like a good 2-3 shift would punch my coffee into the dash.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Its a good 8 inches long and the sam width as the stock opening. I had to cut off a good 2 inches off the back of the cup holder to clear the airbag module under the dash. Sorry can't remember what year Taurus other than it was a mid 90's. You will need to massage the trans tunnel as it slopes up. I used a BFH with a 2X 6 and with a right angle cut off wheel on a dremel knocked off the heads of the bolts that hold the console bracket The cupholder is a perfect width for the opening but is too wide, so you have to provide clearance for it and the radio to fit. I also had to trim the plastic radio trim piece. It wont work with a stick. You need to move the radio down as the cupholder hits my B&M shifter plastic bezel and wont extend all the way if you install it in the lower slot position.

Ideally, if they still made the HVAC relocation panel I would have installed it in the existing HVAC location and moved the HVAC controls down.

Here's the coin hokder. A lot of other vehicle owners have used these to add a cup holder to their car as well...that's why they are still $30 or so

87e42926384365a77d394361ba5db76c.jpg

Aftermarket caught wind that there was a market, so there's this option too
26e0efe36d1ada7650f3cd0826d0373f.jpg

The age old question- why doesn't the fox body come with factory cupholders? While at the JY I saw an in dash slide out coin/cupholer in a Taurus that looked like it might work. After an hour or so of dremel work on the cupholder, clearancing the trans tunnel with a board and BFH, I had to move the radio down and trim about 2 inches off the back of the cup/coinholder with a dremel. Still have to work a little on the bezel, but I think it's pretty cool to have slide out cupholders now. Disregard the crappy old leather shifter boot. New one is on it's way.
20160903_151716.jpg
20160903_151732.jpg
Hey! What's with the crappy old leather shifter boot?:D

Reactions: 1 user
No lie...from my drivers seat in the Taurus I have access to FOUR cupholder. Five is you include Pass door cup holder. Backseat has four as well.

And to think I grew up wedging my drink between e brake and seat

Reactions: 2 users