BIG Update on the repair of COBRASK8 - Lotsa Pics

chepsk8

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2001
Easton, PA
Most of you will remember my wreck at Watkins Glen in August, where I completely fubar'ed turn 9, and hit the Armco quite hard...

WreckontheHook1800.jpg

View attachment 419623

Once home, with the body off, the real extent of the damage was assessed...

RepairBefore800.jpg

Basically, EVERY piece of front suspension on the driver's side was ruined, even the spindle and rotor. The frame was checked, and only the LCA mounts were trashed, and the motor mounts bent forwards 3".

The bad mounts were cut off the frame...

CuttingOffBentParts800.jpg

And new frame parts were both gotten from FFR and made by Cobranetto (Ben Carbonetto), since my car is a MKII, and FFR only had MKIII chassis parts.

The chassis was thoroughly checked for square and straightness, and was determined to be OK.

Lots of measuring and checking was done as the new parts were slowly tack welded in...

NEWLCAParts800.jpg

View attachment 419630

NewMotorMount800.jpg

FinalTestfitting800.jpg

Attachments

• WreckontheHook1800.jpg
    WreckontheHook1800.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 76
  • RepairBefore800.jpg
    RepairBefore800.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 78
  • CuttingOffBentParts800.jpg
    CuttingOffBentParts800.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 75
  • NEWLCAParts800.jpg
    NEWLCAParts800.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 85
  • NewMotorMount800.jpg
    NewMotorMount800.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 77
  • FinalTestfitting800.jpg
    FinalTestfitting800.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Sponsors (?)

Once it all was done, Limey69 (Chris Walls) came over with his welder, and welded everything up.

Some paint to match the powerdercoating...

FinalPainted800.jpg

And new parts installed...

RepairFinal1800.jpg

And hopefully the car will be back on the road soon! Next to finish the suspension, sleeve the rear of the crank, get the motor back in and go-Kart!

Possibly some big body plans to, but that's another thread in the future.

Huge, huge thanks to those forum members who have helped so far, both in help and parts, along with a big tip of the hat to Joe F. at Factory Five.

More details as the project continues....

Dan
:orange:

Attachments

• FinalPainted800.jpg
    FinalPainted800.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 73
  • RepairFinal1800.jpg
    RepairFinal1800.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 77
I'm relatively new to this forum. That looked like a pretty good hit. Glad you were ok. Great job on the repair, it would be hard to notice any previous damage with how well you did the repair work.
I plan on getting an FFR one day also. Still about 5-10 years in the future, but it sure does sound like they have some great customer service. Congrats and may it be back on the road soon.
-Edgar

About time you posted a progress report! ;)

Looking good Crash!:nice::hail2:

Hey, just had a thought! (Ya, Blue Fuzzys think from time to time.............looooooooooong time to time............) Maybe we should work on getting Deanna a scholarship to Wyotech...this way she can continue repairing your wrecks for many years to come!:nice:

Hey Fritz, where you been hiding the past couple of weeks?

My Closet.:rolleyes:

nah, I've been lurking.......been too busy with work to do much else, just about done dressing up sally's engine,

attachment.php

passenger door is ready to be reskinned with both the the inside of the shell and the new skin POR15'd, now I just have to get them together, do a final fit, yada, yada, yada............

I'm also in the process of stripping the rear splash shields (under fender @ cowl) for POR15ing and re-gasketing. I've still gotta dig out the front shields from my parts cache.

My Closet.:rolleyes:

nah, I've been lurking.......been too busy with work to do much else, just about done dressing up sally's engine,

attachment.php

I STILL think you should grab one of the big "COBRA" oval air cleaner assemblies to sit atop your carb. We oughta be able to fab up some kinda "Restrictor Plate" to reduce that intake hole diameter to about 1/3 it's orginal size.... which will be close to what you want for that Carter YF :D

That's okay; I've got something we start him out with.... it's a 12 volt-powered hair dryer that Ms Susan StangDreamin' bought for car-camping. The heater element burnt out, but you don't really need it in this application. Just put it up on the roof (best "cold air") with the cord going in through the window to the cigarrette lighter socket. An extra long vacuum cleaner hose taped to the exhaust nozzle will run under the hood to a hole in the top of the air cleaner. A tube of clear bathtub caulk can seal everything up and even work to mount the hair dryer on the roof without drilling any holes. The whole shebang would probaby net about a 17% increase in HP; and since the blower isn't dependent on engine RPMs to "spin up", the low-end torque should jump right up there, as well. :nice:

Hey, if it works (even a little bit), we could make a mint marketing it to the ricer market! :lol:

They did something similar except it was with a gas powered leaf blower plugged directly into the intake tube, I can't remember how much of a gain it was, but it was pretty funny to watch a little Honda hopped up with a leaf blower going full bore, sticking out the front of the car :rlaugh:

Here's some REAL trivia for you...

In 1971, Mickey Thompson experimented with compressed air in one of his Funny Cars. He had 4 or 8 bottles, and when the throttle was hit, the bottles dumped, like an instant supercharger.

and you'd see six, teeny-tiny pistons floating in your oil pan!

They ain't THAT "teeny-tiny":nono:..................Do the math......:

302 c.i. / 8 cyl = 37.75 c.i./cyl
200 c.i. / 6 cyl = 33 1/3 c.i./cyl for a whopping difference of 4.41 c.i./cyl

StangDreamin' said:
That's okay; I've got something we start him out with.... it's a 12 volt-powered hair dryer that Ms Susan StangDreamin' bought for car-camping. The heater element burnt out, but you don't really need it in this application. Just put it up on the roof (best "cold air") with the cord going in through the window to the cigarrette lighter socket. An extra long vacuum cleaner hose taped to the exhaust nozzle will run under the hood to a hole in the top of the air cleaner. A tube of clear bathtub caulk can seal everything up and even work to mount the hair dryer on the roof without drilling any holes. The whole shebang would probaby net about a 17% increase in HP; and since the blower isn't dependent on engine RPMs to "spin up", the low-end torque should jump right up there, as well.

Hey, if it works (even a little bit), we could make a mint marketing it to the ricer market!
Heck, even if it doesn't work, we could still make a mint on the Rice Market!:rolleyes: :lol: