By Passes Heater Need Info on hose on water pump

williet57

Apr 3, 2005
When I recently purchased my 84 Mustang w/302 they bypassed the radiator.My question is do they make a preformed hose that runs from the bottom line out of the water pump that goes to the manifold fitting right behind the thermostat (I have a Edelebrock manifold) or just bend the standard hose whic I am afraid it will kink. Do the have some type spring to go in the hose so it will not kink if the do not make a preformed hose. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i just cut a normal rubber hose to the length and put it on. didnt kink at all and havent had any problems at all. been that way about a year. just make sure to cut it long enough to slip it over the ends far enough for a good clamp to go on :nice:

i just cut a normal rubber hose to the length and put it on. didnt kink at all and havent had any problems at all. been that way about a year. just make sure to cut it long enough to slip it over the ends far enough for a good clamp to go on :nice:
You're very lucky. That's a very tight bend. Even with the preformed hose, you have to be careful about putting enough of the ends on far enough to get a good bend in the middle.

williet57:
Yes, they make preformed hoses.
For any part, you should always check
RockAuto Auto Parts
NAPA Online

Do not trust what you read in the forums.

Below are from RockAuto Auto Parts for an '84 Mustang GT.

GOODYEAR Part # 63726 View attachment 205415
Engine Coolant By-Pass Hose
Molded; By-Pass; Cut to Fit
getimage.php

- Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business day$5.02

MOTORCRAFT Part # KM640
MoreInfo2.png
{#DOOZ8597B}
Crossover ALT Flow
getimage.php

$5.75Add to Cart
AddToCart2.png

GATES Part # 20662
MoreInfo2.png
Molded Coolant Hose; 5/8" x 3/4" x 5 3/16"
Cut to fit
getimage.php

$5.99Add to Cart
AddToCart2.png

Also, from my experience, getting hoses for a pre-87 can be tricky. For example, the hose to/from the heater core to/from the engine. Ford moved the firewall a little. For those tight bends, in that tight space, it makes a difference. So, be prepared to trim a little when needed. But, always look at the bend before you trim (you don't want it kinked), and trim a little at a time.

Good luck!

I'm doing the same thing. A regular hose kinked on me so if I were you I would just get a preformed one.

Does it matter which one of the outlets on the water pump you put the hose on? I thought it was the top, but you said bottom.

haha youre right stang&2birds i was lucky but it didnt kink at all. idk if the rubber hose is stronger than normal or what but it worked out. i will try to get picks up of the set-up if i can

Heater hose

The way It was when I bought the car was the owner had a hose running from one heter port to the other heater port. Then on the water pump he had a preformed hose running from the top opport of the water pump to the mainifold right behind the thermostat housing. Then he had a hose out of the bottom water pump port looped with about 2-1/2 ft of hose to a fitting on the manifold right behind the port I mentioned above. Maybe I will try to get a picture of this and it might explain it better. One person said just cap off the boottom por and plug the manifold. I do not hnoe if this would be a good idea. Thanks

im wanting to get into this myself, i have had mine for a few years now, but have never ran the heat until last year. guess what...no heat! didnt even notice that the heater core wasnt hooked up. guess ill get to that some day.