C&L True Flow 76mm Kit.....fitment issues?

RTGreen

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2001
Alabaster, Alabama
I bought and tried to install a C&L 76mm kit this weekend. I had some issues with the True Flow pipe fitting. It rubbed the strut tower, and the stock MAF mounting brackes wouldn't work because the true flow pipe had the MAF pointing at an angle. I finally called a friend that has the C&L Kit. He said that he had the same issue with his pipe....I was jsut wondering if everyone else has run into this issue? :shrug:

Right now I'm running the stock TB and air box. The instructions said that the stock TB and Box can be used with no issues.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. Had the same issue. It can be overcome, however, if you are willing to let your stock airbox go, because, as you know, it just doesn't line up correctly. This is what I did....

1. The bracket....I had the issue with it interfering with the strut tower. I did find, though, if you were able to mount the bracket about 3/4" forward by using longer bolts and a couple of spacers, it fit just fine. It pulled the intake tube at such an angle that there is now about a 1/4" space between the strut tower and the intake tube.

2. The airbox....Unfortunately, it's got to go. It mounts the assembly at such an angle it just won't line up, otherwise. I got some sheet aluminum and some automotive weatherstripping and made my own, "trick" airbox. I've seen others use plexiglass ones on other cars. You will need some form of airbox to protect your new MAF from the dreaded "fanwash"/resonance issues which has been known to create some quirky idle problems. I ran without an airbox for a little while and had a really unstable idle....after the box, it ran quite smoothly.

3. The air filter....Another issue. Most K&N-like air filters are made for stock 5-ohs, with a 53mm outlet. You now have a 76mm MAF. Now, this may sound like a "hack-job", but it works....I went to Home Depot and got a white PVC connector that fits over the MAF. I think its an end-to-end connector for 4" pipe. Bring your MAF with you to make sure. It's about 5" long. It JUST about fits over the MAF, but not quite. I used a rotary grinder to shave off what I needed off of the PVC pipe, then it would fit over the MAF snuggly. Then, I took a razorblade knife and cut the correct sized opening on my air filter. I made sure that everything fit rather tight, so it would be less likely to vibrate off.

Anderson Ford Motorsport carries a line of air filters with wider openings that you may be able to use. Doesn't hurt to give them a call.

Perhaps someone else has a better idea, but this works for me.

I have the same C&L set up as you guys.
The first time I just slapped the MAF and Flow tube of and it did rub strut tower.

All you have to do to get to fit perfectly is to get the tightening of the clamp sequence and the position of the silicon hoses properly
Mine fits PERFECT NOW!
Trial and ERROR
Move that insert at throttle body in and out etc.
Keep trying
You'll get it.
IT'S A PERFECT FIT!

BTW, I am running a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. Perhaps this is playing into MY fitment issues. I played around with it for quite a while...there was no way it was going to fit around my strut tower unless I did some mods.

When I had a 76mm the directions told you not to use the stock MAF bracket...

I was able to get it to fit with out rubbing the tower after playing with the clamps. Use the stock air box it will run better (track tested), use a regualr paper filter instead of the K&N (K&N panel let too much dirt through).

When the motor torqued it would smack the shock tower, I put a small piece of pressure sensitive urethane on the pipe so it would not scratch the shock tower. If you would like a piece PM. me I work for a 3M converter and have this available....