Suspension Caliper Bracket Is Not My Friend.

Ed88

Aug 21, 2017
So in process of doing a brake job that apparently the PO hadn't done in a very long time. Well one of the caliper bracket bolts was half stripped. Got the bottom bolt out but I've tried every trick I can think of and the top bolt won't budge. Tried heat, penetrating fluids, Coca-Cola, hammering a smaller size onto it's. Nothing has worked. Managed to get the bracket to tilt out of the way, knocked the wheel studs out and got the rotor off(which was so screwed it broke apart). Any ideas how to get the bolt out or to get the new rotor in? Had to use a hammer to get old one out so don't want to damage the new one.
Thanks
Eddie

• Sponsors (?)

@Mustang5L5

I take it that you do not currently have access to impact tools?

If not, grab up a 6-point box end wrench
Secure the car with jack stands
Apply the box end to the bolt in a way that you can use a hydraulic jack to break it loose.

Would love to if my super awesome smart cousin hadn't tried to do it also and striped the head of the bolt. That's why I had tried to hammer a smaller size wrench and socket onto it.

Would love to if my super awesome smart cousin hadn't tried to do it also and striped the head of the bolt. That's why I had tried to hammer a smaller size wrench and socket onto it.

Ah, I missed that this bolt was also stripped. :chin

I'll think on this. Describe what tools you have on-hand. Any parts stores nearby?

Hand tools(sockets and box end), torch. Could probably borrow some tools from friends. Had tons of tools but they were stolen a year ago and not recovered.
Part stores around me there are AutoZone, O'Reilleys, advance, Napa and I think a bumper to bumper.

Hand tools(sockets and box end), torch. Could probably borrow some tools from friends. Had tons of tools but they were stolen a year ago and not recovered.
Part stores around me there are AutoZone, O'Reilleys, advance, Napa and I think a bumper to bumper.

Call the O"Reillies and see if they have a bolt extractor socket in the size you need, and one smaller.

Someone may also have a kit:

024721012579.jpg

Hammer that mofo on and use a breaker bar and a lot of ass to get it out.

Call the O"Reillies and see if they have a bolt extractor socket in the size you need, and one smaller.

Someone may also have a kit:

024721012579.jpg

Hammer that mofo on and use a breaker bar and a lot ass to get it out.

It ended up working just fine thanks for the help! Ended up having to get a new caliper since the bleeder screw broke off. At least there not badly priced at all lol

Reactions: 1 user
Glad you got it! Remember to use lock-tite when you put them back in. They don't really need help staying in but it helps to get them out again.

Oh, and put NEW grade-8 bolts back in. :jester: