Cam Install

GREENBIOCH

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2002
In an Igloo
Just reading the haynes manual, cause I'm contemplating some camshafts for a winter project. It says to remove the timing chain cover you have to remove the oil pan...is this true? Just wondering if I need to have an engine support tool or not.

• Sponsors (?)

You may need to. Sometimes repair manuals have steps that you dont necessarily need to take...just my personal experience.

There is also a tool out there that allows you to install the cams without removing the timing cover, although I believe it depends on which plant your engine was built at.

You don't have to fully remove it. I just got done removing the front cover just a few weeks ago. You'll have to remove the bolts in the front (believe there are 4) and that's it.

Not a difficult task to do.

Do you know where you can get one of these tools?? Cause if you can change the cam without removing the timing cover that would be awesome.

when you remove those bolts do you have to have the engine held up, or is just 4 bolts that attach to the oil pan?

No removing the engine or anything crazy. Just remove the bolts and you are good to remove the cover.

I ATTEMPTED to install my cams without removing the cover at first--though ran into an error of course ;) Removing the front cover only takes a few extra minutes so it's not too bad.

whoa here fellas !!!!!!!!!!!1

theres no need to touch the timing covers.

1. rotate the enigine and remove the followers as their corresponding cam lobes are opposite the followers by hand. (its easy)

2. look at the manual.
3. you will see the tensioners and the pawl that holds the tension.
4. release the pawl and slide in and wedge the AFM timing chain tool into the chain.
5. remove all but the back most cam caps.
6. match mark the timing gears/chains.(paint and scratch marks from the gears to the chains)
7. remove the cam /gear bolt and discard.
8. slide the gear off
9.remove the rearmost cap
10.remove the cam
11. reverse the order.

it takes about 2 hours per side or quicker if you are used to doing them.

do one side at a time.

yes, you can do it without removing the cover,many have done it. but just as many have had major issue's doing it this way. with stage 2 cams or bigger you must remove cover to degree them. you are a fool not to remove the cover imho,it's really not that big of a deal

Thats great info guys, I didn't know you could do it without removing the timing covers. blkhorse why do you say that it is foolish to do it without removing the timing cover, whats the downfall usually??

As far as cams go I just want a mild cam, like the cms stage one cam or something similar. So no spring changes or anything like that, I want to keep it streetable being a summertime Daily driver and all.

The guy I had helping me made an error and my timing got knocked off when doing the install with the cover on. I re-timed the car with the cover off and its honestly not hard to remove the front cover.

If I were to do my cam swap again--I would have just removed the front cover in the first place. It's only a few extra bolts.

Do you know where you can get one of these tools?? Cause if you can change the cam without removing the timing cover that would be awesome.

when you remove those bolts do you have to have the engine held up, or is just 4 bolts that attach to the oil pan?

As the old 14th century ocean maps used to say "here there be dragons!".

If you are going to install cams, remove the cover and do it correctly so that you know the timing is set dead on. If that chain slips, can can do serious engine damage, and trying to avoid removing the timing chain cover is not worth the risk. It also lets you examine the chain guides which may well be in need of replacement if you have exposed metal under the nylon.

The "easy way out" is often not "the best way"..

also you did not say what year your car is,but if it is a windsor you have to remove the cover,the tool won't work(cam gear pressed on cam). and like stated above,you can inspect and replace the tensioners,guides and check the general condition of seals etc. The hardest part in front cover removal is the harmonic balancer,the rest is just a few bolts, sensors and removing(unbolting) the power steering pump

The car is a 2004 Yellow convertable GT

I agree that the easiest is not always the best route. So it looks as though i will remove the timing chain cover. As you can tell I have never done this before so it should be interesting, after 3 weeks I will be banging my head against the wall and wondering why i took this on as a project. Of course I'm being sarcastic. Some of what you guys are talking about makes sense, but some I need to see it to understand. Like the timing marks and what not, I have seen pics and read a bit, but I think I just need to dive in and figure it out along the way. I know stangnet is always here to help. So when I start this winter I'll prob be posting some questions when I'm stumped.

Hoping to add the JLT CAI, TB/Plenum combo along with the cams. So next summer should be fun. One more question. With a stage one cam is it a good idea to get my Xcal2 reprogrammed after? Is it required or is it a necessity?

Definitely get the reprogram or a dyno tune to get the full results.

I did both...installed one side with the cam tool and had to remove the timing cover after we dropped the cam washer into the oil pan for the other. :(

The Haynes is a pretty good guide to follow. As far as the necessity to remove the timing cover I would have been fine using the cam tool if it were not for the washer goof although if you decide to go with a bigger cam then I'd want to degree and make sure the timing is right. Most have no issues with a small cam and using the cam tool.