Changing Oil, Simple quick Q

Wil

Jan 2, 2003
Burke, VA
Ok, well title says it, what weight and how much oil does our 5.0's need? I never changed the oil of a 5.0 but have done it tons of time on my 01 Gt, should be the same, right?

THanks,
WiL :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

the weight just depends on what you want to run... probably 10w30 would be best...but its a huge debate over what kind of oil to run. 5 quarts is good. mine reads about half a quart over full with 5 in it, but it takes 5, the dip sticks are wrong sometimes

I personally use 10w-40, but others use 5w-30, 10w-30, 20w-50, and so on. That would be personal preference, and dependant upon what your engine likes. If you have a slight leak with 5w-30, changing to a thicker weight might temporarily help out a bit(not really recommended though).

As for how much, if you have a stock oil pan, then it is 5 qts even. The dipstick is notorious for being off a bit, so just drain it all, and throw in 5 qts, and call it a day.

ECU5.0 said:
the weight just depends on what you want to run... probably 10w30 would be best...but its a huge debate over what kind of oil to run. 5 quarts is good. mine reads about half a quart over full with 5 in it, but it takes 5, the dip sticks are wrong sometimes

The dipsticks are almost always wrong, i've only heard from a couple people who have dipsticks that read correctly!

I filled mine up with 5 litres of 10w-30, and marked the dipstcik.. my full mark is right on the F of the word FULL.

Wil said:
both drain plugs???? where are they located just in case I don't see them. I never heard of there being two drain plugs.

One's at the front hump of the pan (which holds about a liter of oil), the other is at the bottom rear of the pan (which holds about 4-liters of oil).

The 302 calls for 10w30 and that's what I run. If I drove the car during the winter, I might go for 5w-30, but I don't. Just buy whatever's on sale and an FL-1 filter. :nice:

freakazoid said:
What is a liter, is that a new type of oil ? :D :D :rlaugh:
It is, but you can only buy it in Canada. It's a special blend of maple syrup, whale blubber, clean air and hockey talent. Better than any synthetic oil on the marke....smart ass!
thefinger_red.gif

Also pour about 3/4 of a quart into your new oil filter before you install it. If not the mains will run dry for a few seconds on the first start-up. My dipstick also reads at the "F" in full when it has 5 qts on board.