classic axle bearings

I recently watched my shop pull my axles and press on bearings followed by a pressed on sleeve to keep the bearing in place.

They tell me all classic mustang/shelby axle bearings mount the same way, is that true?

My brother has a 69 GT500 428SCJ and he insists his axle has a sleeve that is pressed UNDER the bearing. He said the replacement bearing just looked too big and would not fit without it.

I suspect the replacement bearing he is talking about was the wrong size to begin with.

What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

I just yesterday had bearings and the wedding ring pressed on my new Strange 31-spline axles. The instruction said that only 40-spline axles uses a sleeve under the bearing. I wouldn't know about OEM Shelby axles dough...

That's good enough for me. I'll assume my brother is correct. If you know that 40 spline uses a sleeve under the bearing (That's was a first for me to hear that any axels use a sleeve under the bearing) then I bet the shelby uses the sleeve as well.

Thanks!

I just pulled my factory 28 spline and had new bearings pressed on. Mine had a sleeve on the inboard side of the bearing so they installed with the new bearings.

this was from a 70 traction lock 9"

mike

I recently watched my shop pull my axles and press on bearings followed by a pressed on sleeve to keep the bearing in place.

They tell me all classic mustang/shelby axle bearings mount the same way, is that true?

Totally normal. The axles that came out of my '57 9" had them, the axles in the old '68 8" had them, the 8" out of my previous '65 notchback had them, and so did the original 28spl and upgrade 31spl axles I put into the Versaille 9" that replaced it. All the sets of replacement bearing for these applications included these rings as well.

Your brother used the wrong bearings for the axles in his car... :nono:

well going from dif to wheel my 8" has only bearing, followed by a grease seal and some retainer plate . Im not sure what kind of pressed-in sleeve should be there