Cleaning Convertible Top

orange07gt

Sep 22, 2006
Hey guys,

My car is about a week old and I wanted to wash it. I am just affraid to wash the convertible top with just anything. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know if the top is cloth or vinyl??? It feels like cloth but now I am second guessing myself

• Sponsors (?)

Top can be cloth or vinyl depends on what you ordered. Mine is Vinyl and all I have used so far is mild liquid washing detergent. Marine One has a cloth top so he will probably chime in if he does anything different. I think as long as you use mild soap you should be fine. I use nothing special so far.

I have a 1966 Convertible with a white top. I have looked for years for a good cleaner. Many conpanies that make all kinds of car products do not have a good top cleaner. If you find a good one please pass it on.

Look up 303 Aerospace protectant. They started out with an interior product which is really nice, anti UV, doesn't leave everything all slimy and reflective like armor all and doesn't dry anything out. They also have a 303 convertible top cleaner which my mom uses on her Miata, and it is a great product. I'd just first wipe the top down normally with a good car wash and then apply the 303. Raggtop is supposed to be a good cleaner/protectant as well.

radtexas said:
Top can be cloth or vinyl depends on what you ordered. Mine is Vinyl and all I have used so far is mild liquid washing detergent. Marine One has a cloth top so he will probably chime in if he does anything different. I think as long as you use mild soap you should be fine. I use nothing special so far.

Yeah, Radtexas, you knew I couldn't resist. I've had 2 Mustangs with black vinyl convertible tops, a Sebring with a black cloth convertible top and my 07 GT also has a black cloth top. I wash the tops exactly the same way that I wash the remainder of the car, which is to either use a bucket w/Armor All car wash and a mitt, or my Mr. Clean AutoDry car wash and a mitt. I've not had any experience with any color top but black but washing the tops the same way as the remainder of the car seems to work. If you have a cloth top, my experience with both of ours has been that they are a magnet for lint. An occasional vacuuming with a shop vac is the best way to take care of that and to raise the nap of the top as well.

I got a 2oz sample of 303 Aerospace top cleaner at a brittish car show this spring (yah, I have several Triumphs -- including a TR7 sleeper that screams (no kidding)). I used the 303 Aerospace cleaner on my 05 GT stang parchment (tan) vinyl top today to try to get some tree sap out. I was pretty disappointed that the stains didn't come out.:( (anyone have any suggestions for this?)

About 2 hours later I went out to the garage to lock up for the night, and after the top dried, WOW!. It is bright as new. The spots are still there, a little lighter, but once the top dried, the entire top really brightened up. I have a sample of their protection spray that I have not used. I want to take another shot at getting the spots out Sunday. I don't want to lock the spots in withe the protection spray, but this product is impressive. I don't know what the long term result of regular use would be, but my socks fell down when I went out to the garage and saw the car after it dried.:D

I have no financial interest in this product... I was just surprised by what I saw when I went out to the garage tonight....