Cleaning Products

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
Cincinnati area
Getting to be about that time to do a full detail on my car. Wanted to run some things by you genius's.

What should I use to clean the black exterior trim on my car. I've tried some of the cheapo stuff at Autozone, and everything looks good till it dries, then it just looks all streaky and ****.

What should I use to clean the engine compartment?

I've seen alot of references to the Aerospace stuff and SImply Green. What can these products be used on? Any links for purchase or can they be bought at a store. Once Ford gets done fixing/breaking my car, I'm gonna do the clean, but want to have all the stuff ready. Besides, if Ford gives me a new shortblock...I'm sure they'll make a mess of everything else in there.

• Sponsors (?)

I use Meguiar's Back to Black polish for the plastic (side mirrors, cowl, and side scoops) and it works great. As for the engine, most people cover up the electrical components with plastic bags, spray degreaser everywhere and hose it off with water, but I haven't tried it yet. Most degreasers are at auto part stores.

for the engine. bag the electricals, while warm but not hot, soak it in simple green. Let it sit for 5-10 mins. Hose it off then spray it down with one of the tire foams. I use the armorall one myself. Looks beter then the day i drove it home.

DocG2828 said:
Getting to be about that time to do a full detail on my car. Wanted to run some things by you genius's.

What should I use to clean the black exterior trim on my car. I've tried some of the cheapo stuff at Autozone, and everything looks good till it dries, then it just looks all streaky and ****..
i used to use Back to Black to clean all the black plastic, and it was just OK. heres what ive found that works AWESOME. ready for this? its a big secret until now. TIRE SHINE. i use a spray on (no need to dry) tire shine. it has some kinda wax in it that makes the black plastic REALLY shiney. just make sure you clean the plastic well first, or else you will cover the water spots in a layer of "wax" and it really wont come off.