Drivetrain Clutch Grab Not So Well

• Sponsors (?)

Chattering has been in my past experience one of three things. 1) contaminated disc/ pressure plate, from oil or overheated. 2) springs on pressure plate not tightened to even pressure. 3) flywheel not smooth, cracked. Have flywheel resurfaced or replaced, replace disc/ pressure plate. Replace pilot bushing, inspect input shaft on transmission for smoothness and wear. Inspect t/o bearing, replace if rough or scarred surface. Make sure you torque flywheel and pressure plate to specs. Do it in steps in an x pattern. You'd be surprised what mis torquing can do. Break in new clutch easy, don't dog it, or you'll be right back where you started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Chattering has been in my past experience one of three things. 1) contaminated disc/ pressure plate, from oil or overheated. 2) springs on pressure plate not tightened to even pressure. 3) flywheel not smooth, cracked. Have flywheel resurfaced or replaced, replace disc/ pressure plate. Replace pilot bushing, inspect input shaft on transmission for smoothness and wear. Inspect t/o bearing, replace if rough or scarred surface. Make sure you torque flywheel and pressure plate to specs. Do it in steps in an x pattern. You'd be surprised what mis torquing can do. Break in new clutch easy, don't dog it, or you'll be right back where you started.

Kid I bought it from did clutch over about 3000 miles ago, didn't do anything to flywheel he said. No idea if it ever ran right. How do I check the individual spring pressure?

Only way to fix clutch chatter is to pull it apart. I'm am betting on pilot bearing. Should surface the flywheel every clutch change, so you'll need to do that. Springs are in the clutch plate, they should not be loose.

The only way I know of to check pressure plate springs, is to use a torque wrench, and know the procedure. Years back in San Francisco where I live near. We had a clutch and brake rebuilding shop. I watched the man check the spring tension with a torque wrench and some sort of jig to hold the pressure plate in. Maybe one of the other readers can describe if and how you can check yours at home. Either way your going to have to tear down and replace parts I mentioned earlier. Be sure to resurface flywheel as well.

Pulled the drive shaft off and black fluid just ran out of transmission, like used engine oil. Is that normal? Do I need to get it all out or can I top it off later? Waiting for it to stop leaking so I can cover it.

The lowest two bolts that hold dust cover on are missing. I can see right in to flywheel, the backside of it looks all rusted. Are they all the same so I can get new ones?

If your trans is at a downward angle fluid will come out at an alarming rate. Ruined more t shirts that way. Pull the drain plug and see what color the fluid is. There is a seal at the tailend of the trans, looks like crank or axel seal kind of.
Trans takes atf fluid I think typ 3? Someone can verify or google it.

Reactions: 1 user
If your trans is at a downward angle fluid will come out at an alarming rate. Ruined more t shirts that way. Pull the drain plug and see what color the fluid is. There is a seal at the tailend of the trans, looks like crank or axel seal kind of.
Trans takes atf fluid I think typ 3? Someone can verify or google it.
Transmission fluid is black and all over garage floor being speedy dried. Hope to have everything on the bench by end of weekend.

Inner race isn't centered, sounds like craps when I spin it.

Attachments

• KIMG0153.jpg
    KIMG0153.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 165