Cobra's Cobra's Cobra's everyone says get a cobra

LB0193

Dec 6, 2005
IL
Man I keep wondering if I should keep putting money in my 01 Gt, or just sell it and get a 03/04 cobra. Right now I am looking at getting the 9 pound pulley and intercooler for my kenne bell which would put me around 400 hp....although there is really nothing after that to be done to the car, at least on the stock block....and even if I go with a new shortblock, heads, cam's etc...with my 1.7 I am never going to see over 500hp...so the question is will a 400hp Gt do it for me or should I stop now sell my car and get a 03/04 cobra.....I am sure alot of us ponder this question....What would an average 1/4 time be for a 400hp gt....Anyway just felt like ranting again cause I cant make up my mind.......

• Sponsors (?)

i was in the same EXACT situation as you in Aug. 04. I had an 01 GT with the 9# KB kit on it. I knew the stock block was a ticking time bomb and I was going to have to spend big $$ soon to do the block, and heads ect... Just for the hell of it I went looking at the last 04 Cobras they had on the lots around here (which was only 2 left). Found the EXACT Cobra I wanted, and the numbers were right. After 2 days of racking my brain trying to figure out what to do, I said "F" it and made the deal. I'll tell you what, it was hard watching the techs drive away with my GT as I was signing the papers for the Cobra, but as soon and the final sig. was complete and I drove her off the lot, the smile was permanently imbedded on my face and has been there the almost 2 years since!! I'll tell you what, I too spent a crap load on my GT in mods, and the car was immaculate. I know alot of people here would rather mod the hell out of and personalize their GT's, which there is nothing wrong with, but for me the Cobra still wins. Nothing like the 4v sound and power, the MUCH better handling, and the pimpin' driver seat!! It hugs my bumm bumm!!!:D

While I'd love a 03-04 Cobra, I also enjoy taking vacations/going to nice dinners and other things in life. I honestly could trade up and get one myself, but I'd have to cut back on other things. Something I'm not willing to do. You have to consider those things.
Also, my GT is also still low mileage and I wouldn't want to take what the dealer would be willing to offer.

If you have the $$$ then go for the terminator. For me, it was easier to spend a little on my GT here and a little later. Plus my stang has been paid for over two years ago(a BIG plus for me). I'll just settle for 450-480rwhp for the street and some spray (150shot) to bump it over 600whp for the track. Also, my lighter GT has 35-45hp advantage, so me having 470rwhp is the equivalent to a 500+rwhp Cobra.

I'm actually quite unique in my area considering I'm one of VERY few, if any, who actually drives a quick 99-04 stang. When ppl here think of fast stangs, they think of foxbodies and Cobras. But if I could start all over, I'd get the terminator.

02LaserRed2V said:
Also, my lighter GT has 35-45hp advantage, so me having 470rwhp is the equivalent to a 500+rwhp Cobra.
That comment is questionable.......I do believe that you would have your hands full with 500hp Cobra. Not knocking your car in the least bit bro, its nice as hell, but you seem to forget that a 500hp bolt on Cobra ( assuming it is still running an eaton) is going to be in the 520 lb/ft tq range, plus has another 1000 of RPM rev range on you.

VOORHEES said:
While I'd love a 04-04 Cobra, I also enjoy taking vacations/going to nice dinners and other things in life. I honestly could trade up and get one myself, but I'd have to cut back on other things. Something I'm not willing to do. You have to consider those things.
Also, my GT is also still low mileage and I wouldn't want to take what the dealer would be willing to offer.

I'm the same way, I could have sprung for a Terminator but didn't wanna cut back on other stuff at the same time. :nice:

Dan_Soprano said:
That comment is questionable.......I do believe that you would have your hands full with 500hp Cobra. Not knocking your car in the least bit bro, its nice as hell, but you seem to forget that a 500hp bolt on Cobra ( assuming it is still running an eaton) is going to be in the 520 lb/ft tq range, plus has another 1000 of RPM rev range on you.

I'm not talking about my current #s. I know I wont have enough to take a ported Eaton Cobra. I'm comparing a KB'ed GT running 14 lbs to a 500rwhp Cobra. The lighter weight and solid rear do help a lot, unless the two cars are racing from a high speed roll.

VOORHEES said:
While I'd love a 04-04 Cobra, I also enjoy taking vacations/going to nice dinners and other things in life. I honestly could trade up and get one myself, but I'd have to cut back on other things. Something I'm not willing to do. You have to consider those things.

Couldn't have put it any better. :nice:

I love Terminater. And if i really push myself, i could get one. But then like someone above said, i do enjoy other finer things in life such as vacation to other country, big screen TV, able to buy things like ipod and such on whimm without consiquences. Someday soon, i'll bolt up Mangoose kit on my car, and i'll be just as fast as most cobra, then when my stock internal goes boom....well, i'll worry about it then

Thankfully you, like others are in position to do either, or.
Count it as a blessing, there are plenty mustang brothers that won't own Cobra or contemplate it because means.

Good luck with that decision.:nice:

Bolton T 56 KB GT= 3450+# empty
Bolton 03-04 cobra= 3700+# empty
Stock GT= 3350 (adverage)
My car= 3250 empty

General rule is 100# = 10HP, BUT the further you reduce your weight the more HP it takes to keep up. Like a 300HP 3K# car and take 2K# off and it would be WAY faster than just adding 200HP.

Anyways, a built 2V W/ 1.7 KB, blower cams/heads will have the same or more RPM range than a full bolton cobra.

A built/cammed 470RWHP KB 2V GT vs a 500RWHP terminator should be a drivers race IMO. Cobra may pull a hair up top...MAYBE.

haa, funny thing how we all go through the same tough choices, a couple of months before i got my kb i was interested in a real cheap 03 cobra, it was like $20,000 at the time so i was like damn i found a great deal! i went and test drove the car and it ran strong, it was bone stock except for a flowmaster catback if i remember right. well it turns out it was a salvage title car so my older brother and dad totally dicouraged me from buying it, i wanted to offer the guy way less money since it was a salvaged title but my bro and dad convinced me not to get involved with a car like that. I ran a carfax on it and it said the front end was clipped or something like that, but no damage to the frame or anything else. well i didnt buy it so then i went to my ford dealer and talked to the sales manager and told him to find me an 03 cobra, i had the title to my car in my hand ready to buy the terminator, but when he told me that i'd be oweing $14,000 for the cobra after trading in i got discouraged, i told him i'd give him 10K right then and there but he wouldnt budge. Thats when i started reading up on kenne bells and liked what i read, i'm in really deep on my GT so its to late for a terminator for me at this point, maybe someday though. The nice thing about modding a GT, is that your doing it slowley and puting in money little by little, it doesnt seem to hurt so much that way.
My goal is 500rwhp with my KB 1.7 and a built shortblock, i hope this is realistic.

How is a forged and s/c GT less than 500rwhp? I remember project ice box was trapping 133mph in a 3700lb GT.

If you're considering a 03/04 Cobra, you might want to look at Z06's also...I've seen them for mid-high 20's.

hotmustang331 said:
Cammed/head 460RWHP C5 coupe or Z06 vette :drool: ....that would hand a 500RWHP cobra its butt lol.
If a 03-04 Cobra has a KB and bolton's the c5 and c6 will get their door
blow away I know that for a fact because I seen it happen before and
their was no drivers error either. :nice:
The 03-04 Cobras are expensive in my area if you can actually find one.
I seen them for no less than 30K.If you really want one you will cough up
the cash but, it's well worth it though.