Converting Front Bumpers

86Mustang86

Mar 8, 2004
Hi i was wondering if i could convert a 86 mustang front bumper to a 90 mustang front bumper pictures are below i know i will have to buy the newer style lights but can it be done?

Attachments

• 86 Bumper.jpg
    86 Bumper.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 90 Bumper.jpg
    90 Bumper.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Sponsors (?)

Ya it bolts right up, you'll need all new moldings and ground effects to make everything look right, as well as lights and a newer style hood.

It's a SIN around here to convert your 4eyed bumper to an aero nose... as you'll probably find out from other posters.

Dude, where are you located? I will trade you an 88 LX front for your 86. It will fit no problems at all.
EDIT - I'll swap ya hoods and lights too.

Cliff :D

BTW.........you don't yet realize it, but you just unleashed another round of useless, stupid "don't screw up a 4-eye" posts.

Ive done the swap. The new bumper bolts right up. You do need another hood, new lights, and you need the headlights. The wirirng is somewhat tricky. You need the marker and headlight sockets off a 87+ and wire them in. Its not hard, you just cut and sodier the wiring up, all the leads match. The turn signals are another story. You can take the sockets off of a 87+, its a 3 wire lead, and you can wire it to the 2 wire lead. You cant do it, the only way to have turn signals is to take the stock 86 socket and take a dremel and cut the opening in the turn signal light to fit. Hope that makes sence. If you search, youll find some of the threads i started about not getting my turn signals to work. IT was a mess, but it works now. Also the molding on the bumber and on the fenders does not match exactly. You dont notice it unless you know what your looking for. You can chaning the moldings on the car to match though. And if people give you grief for converting a 4 eye to a 87+, its my car and ill do what i want to it, they can cry about something thats not there own business if they want to.

thxx so much helped wicked lot ill start this project on monday or tuesday im 15 years old and getting my car ready :) ive had it since i turned 14 ... and i dont know why people care if i change the front ... but thanks for the help the only part that will be most trouble then is the signals hmm

its not a problem with the turn signals, jsut dont try to wire 87+ sockets into the existing wiring, youll never get it, just enlarge the hole in the signal lamp to have the light fit. Its just when i did it, i didnt know that they wouldnt wire up, so i wasted 2 weeks messing with the wiring combinations to get it to match up, it was a mess.

I also did the swap. You need the bumper from the 87+ car and the shocks that the bumper mounts to, the 4 eyed ones are too short. Switch the shocks then as said above you need to change the wiring harness mine is a 84 and it all popped in place except the actual headlight i had to go to Autozone and get a harness for a later model ford headlight then wired it in. The swap is pretty much straight foward just reply or pm me if you have any questions it too me 2 days with me working during the day for 8 hours. Then buy a badass hood to complement the front end that is what i did... :nice:

I have a quick question about the LX bumper bolting up....the previous owner of my car did the swap, but the very very bottom of the bumper just kinda hangs down, its not bolted. i can't remember exactly but I don't even think there are holes in the metal for it to bolt to (but there's holes in the bumper for the bolts.

also on the underside of the big part of the bumper (if that makes sense) there are two screws going thru it but they aren't screwed to anything...what are they supposed to go to?

just wondering if this is the way it is supposed to be (doubful) or if this guy did a halfassed job like he did everything else on the car - except the headlights...he actually swapped the full harness instead of just changing the connectors.