Diagnosing Starter Problems

Krum

Aug 26, 2015
Hey guys, I've finally decided to take car repairs into my own hands after years of wasting money.

Anyway, my 2003 V6 mustang has to be jumped to start up. It did start without a jump earlier today.
I've taken it to advanced auto, and learned my battery is fine.
The alternator tested kinda weak tho 11 volts, when it should be 13.
I've replaced the alternator 3 times now, each time refurbished.
The car doesn't have any indications that it's the alternator (that I've seen previously anyway) with flickering lights and weakening power.

So now I'm thinking it could be the starter, if you guys think 11 voltage output from the alternator isn't the problem with it starting up.

Right now, I guess I'm going to take the alternator and the starter out and get them bench tested.
I just spent a ridiculous amount of money on the brakes, so I really need to make sure whatever part I buy fixes the problem.

Edit: I noticed the engine cranking weaker and weaker for the past couple days, until yesterday when it didn't start at all. Just the typical clicking sound. It did sound louder than I remember, but not sure.

• Sponsors (?)

The battery should be reading just about 12v and the alternator should be charging closer to 14v

It could be a bad started they do sometimes drain the battery when there sitting and crank weak. But odds are pretty good that sins the alternator is only reading 11v running its probably in the wiring try cleaning up all power and negative contact points on the battery and chassis first and if necessary replace the terminals also check the voltage regulator if its separate from the alternator.

Id also like to say that refurbished alternators and starters just don't seem to last or be all that good to began with most iv seen are refurbished south of the border on the cheap years ago I got a Advanced Auto alternator for a car I had and had to replace it 3 time in one month because the bolts that held it together kept backing out and they would start to come apart and lock up.