disc conversion on 1968 mustang

blackstallion12

Dec 13, 2009
I have a 68 coupe with drum brakes. it has a 9 inch rearend and stock front end, what cars at the junkyard can i steal disks brakes off of for a conversion. If you guys have any info about the interchanging of parts please inform me.

i would just buy new but im short on money.

thany you for your reply

• Sponsors (?)

ford granada linclon Versailles and mecury monarchs have front and rear disk brakes that will fit a 68 and thats about it. There is a kit that allows you to use newer brakes off a mustang but im not sure which and what years it is.

ford granada linclon Versailles and mecury monarchs have front and rear disk brakes that will fit a 68 and thats about it. There is a kit that allows you to use newer brakes off a mustang but im not sure which and what years it is.

oh ok cool thanks... i knew there was a way i was just unsure of the cars to pick. so what do i get? is it spindles rotors calipers and everything? and can i run these brakes manual cause i have too big of a cam for power brakes. also are you sure of what year these cars are?

Here's a list of why you'd be better off with an OE style 65-7 kit, than using Granada parts:

•Slight changes in steering arm geometry over stock.
•Slight mislocation of steering limit stops.
•Unless the Granada in question just passed inspection before hitting the junkyard, you'll need to replace at least the pads and calipers, and possibly the rotors and grease seals. Cha-ching.
•Since the steering arm hole in the Granada is far larger, even bigger than the 70-73 Mustang, you'll need Granada outer tie rod ends. Cha-ching.
•If you have PS, you'll need a unique custom outer tie rod end on the LH side. Cha-ching.
•The Granada brakes require removal and installation of the spindles. Lots of work.
•Replacing the spindles requires wheel alignment, driving cost up more. Cha-ching.
•The hubs of the Granada rotors are larger than 65-73 Mustangs, so you may have to replace your wheels. Cha-ching again.

Using an OE style kit eliminates all of these problems, so the higher up front cost of an OE style kit is made up later in lower finishing cost, and a lot less work.

In fact, the OE 65-67 style brakes can be just as easily fitted to 68-73 Mustangs.

Here's a list of why you'd be better off with an OE style 65-7 kit, than using Granada parts:

•Unless the Granada in question just passed inspection before hitting the junkyard, you'll need to replace at least the pads and calipers, and possibly the rotors and grease seals. Cha-ching.
•Since the steering arm hole in the Granada is far larger, even bigger than the 70-73 Mustang, so you'll need Granada outer tie rod ends. Cha-ching.
•If you have PS, you'll need a unique custom outer tie rod end on the LH side. Cha-ching.
•The Granada brakes require removal and installation of the spindles. Lots of work.
•Replacing the spindles requires wheel alignment, driving cost up more. Cha-ching.
•The hubs of the Granada rotors are larder than 65-73 Mustangs, so you may have to replace your wheels. Cha-ching again.

Using an OE style kit eliminates all of these problems, so the higher up front cost of an OE style kit is made up later in lower finishing cost, and a lot less work.

In fact, the OE 65-67 style brakes can be just as easily fitted to 68-73 Mustangs.

Could not have stated more truth/Fact than that.

Dan @

Chockostang

ok thanky you 2+2. so youre saying to basically buy like a gt mustang front kit? cause i was considering something like that cause it would be correct for the car. and what is this you are saying about 65-67 kit? is that better to use or something?

ok thanky you 2+2. so youre saying to basically buy like a gt mustang front kit? cause i was considering something like that cause it would be correct for the car. and what is this you are saying about 65-67 kit? is that better to use or something?

The typical exotic aftermarket upgrade disc kit uses calipers with 3, 4, even 8 pistons. The factory Kelsey Hayes type was a 4-piston caliper. The spindle was the same one used by the drum brake car, so on a V8 64-66, and any 67-73, you already have the spindles you need on the car, making the conversion WAY easier. You just remove the drum brake assembly and bolt the discs right on.

This was standard equipment on the Mustang GT. The 67 brakes will bolt onto the 68-69, and they will bolt onto the 70-73 if you change the bearing races in the rotors.

For "correct", you need the 68-69 disc brake spindles. SSBC makes the 68-69 spindles, and includes them in this kit:
SSBC :: A132-1

Yeah, I know it looks like a lotta cash, but if you include all the stuff needed to make a junkyard find safe and driveable, it's not so bad, especially since if you order them from the right source you'll have everything you need in the box, eliminating all those trips to the auto parts store.

The typical exotic aftermarket upgrade disc kit uses calipers with 3, 4, even 8 pistons. The factory Kelsey Hayes type was a 4-piston caliper. The spindle was the same one used by the drum brake car, so on a V8 64-66, and any 67-73, you already have the spindles you need on the car, making the conversion WAY easier. You just remove the drum brake assembly and bolt the discs right on.

This was standard equipment on the Mustang GT. The 67 brakes will bolt onto the 68-69, and they will bolt onto the 70-73 if you change the bearing races in the rotors.

For "correct", you need the 68-69 disc brake spindles. SSBC makes the 68-69 spindles, and includes them in this kit:
SSBC :: A132-1

Yeah, I know it looks like a lotta cash, but if you include all the stuff needed to make a junkyard find safe and driveable, it's not so bad, especially since if you order them from the right source you'll have everything you need in the box, eliminating all those trips to the auto parts store.

so basically i can keep the stock spindles and just buy rotors and calipers? cause that would be awesome. do you recommend this option?

•Since the steering arm hole in the Granada is far larger, even bigger than the 70-73 Mustang, you'll need Granada outer tie rod ends. Cha-ching.
•The hubs of the Granada rotors are larger than 65-73 Mustangs, so you may have to replace your wheels. Cha-ching again.

This argument is suspiciously similar to the disinformation that Dan (chockostang) has been spreading for the last two year. I understand Dan's cynical motives (he sells a different type disc kit), but I don't understand yours. Are you somehow associated with Dan?

-It is well known that the the mounting/suspension/steering geometry of 67-73 Mustang spindles are identical to the Granada type.

-the spindles steering stops are located identically. A few years ago someone said in a post that the steering stops needed to be ground down when doing a Granada swap. The fact is that, when they had done the swap, they had reinstalled the steering stops under the strut rod instead of on top and had changed the steering turn stop location. This misinformation has been parroted since.

-Replacement Granada rotors/pads/calipers/hoses are far less expensive than 68-73 or 65-67 Mustang type.

-The swap uses Granada spec outer tie rods. Replacement Granada outer tie rods cost about 12 ea.

-The swap does not require a special tie rod on PS 68-73. It uses the same Granada type.

I agree that the 65-67 KH kit is a fine choice as well. Both type kits are available new, the Granada swap is still available as salvage. Salvage 65-73 Mustang systems are essentially unavailable (or no less expensive than new parts). Please get the facts straight.

Are you somehow associated with Dan?

Never met him, never bought anything from him.

This argument is suspiciously similar to the disinformation that Dan (chockostang) has been spreading for the last two year. I understand Dan's cynical motives (he sells a different type disc kit), but I don't understand yours.

Lessee, the Granada differs from the 64-66, yes? It's harder to install spindles than caliper brackets, yes? Granada spindles require Granada, not even 70-73 Mustang outer tie rod ends, yes? Granada caliper installation requires wheel alignment, yes? Most stock 65-73 Mustang wheels won't fit Granada hubs, Yes? I could go on, but I suspect we agree a lot more than we disagree.

I agree that the 65-67 KH kit is a fine choice as well. Both type kits are available new, the Granada swap is still available as salvage. Salvage 65-73 Mustang systems are essentially unavailable (or no less expensive than new parts). Please get the facts straight.

Please get this straight- I am not recommending salvage yard 65-67 parts (or any other 'junk' brake part), I am recommending new parts, such as those you sell.

View attachment 233425

This argument is suspiciously similar to the disinformation that Dan (chockostang) has been spreading for the last two year. I understand Dan's cynical motives (he sells a different type disc kit), but I don't understand yours. Are you somehow associated with Dan?

-It is well known that the the mounting/suspension/steering geometry of 67-73 Mustang spindles are identical to the Granada type.

-the spindles steering stops are located identically. A few years ago someone said in a post that the steering stops needed to be ground down when doing a Granada swap. The fact is that, when they had done the swap, they had reinstalled the steering stops under the strut rod instead of on top and had changed the steering turn stop location. This misinformation has been parroted since.

-Replacement Granada rotors/pads/calipers/hoses are far less expensive than 68-73 or 65-67 Mustang type.

-The swap uses Granada spec outer tie rods. Replacement Granada outer tie rods cost about 12 ea.

-The swap does not require a special tie rod on PS 68-73. It uses the same Granada type.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the old Granada swap. The replacement parts are definetely a lot cheaper, and for the tie rod end situation for the OP's car, he only needs Granada tie rod ends.

I did this swap on my 68, and I would do it again. In fact, I'm actually keeping my eye out for another set of spindles for my wife's 68, and I am considering this swap for my 63 Fairlane also, though it might be a little more complicated on the tie rod ends for it.

I think that the OE style brakes is an excellent choice, but have nothing against the Granada swap. I did it to mine. Several people I know have done it to classic Mustangs and Mavericks. There are a few issues with this swap, like the outer tie rod ends and the steering bump stops. I had to grind them down a little. I like the fact that the spindle is larger/beefier on the Granada parts. I have no idea what happened to it prior to our ownership, but I had a stock OEM spindle break on our 65 and the wheel nearly came off the car.

Never met him, never bought anything from him.

Lessee, the Granada differs from the 64-66, yes? It's harder to install spindles than caliper brackets, yes? Granada spindles require Granada, not even 70-73 Mustang outer tie rod ends, yes? Granada caliper installation requires wheel alignment, yes? Most stock 65-73 Mustang wheels won't fit Granada hubs, Yes? I could go on, but I suspect we agree a lot more than we disagree.

Please get this straight- I am not recommending salvage yard 65-67 parts (or any other 'junk' brake part), I am recommending new parts, such as those you sell.

View attachment 233399

Most mod choices made for our Mustangs have their pros and cons. I agree that the 65-67 KH type kit that you referenced is probably the best basic choice for most 67-73 applications, along with 8 cylinder 65-66, because it is a simple install and a sound system. That said, there are those users with 6 cylinder Mustangs, and those who for one reason or the other need spindles. The Granada swap, in 4 or 5 lug versions, is an excellent and available choice for them.

Not to Hijack post - but I have a 1970 PB that I bought new granada parts at an auction this last summer. I'm not too concerned about changing the spindles out but would I be better off selling parts I have and buying kit where I don't need to change out spindles? Since it is already a 5 lug car.

Not to Hijack post - but I have a 1970 PB that I bought new granada parts at an auction this last summer. I'm not too concerned about changing the spindles out but would I be better off selling parts I have and buying kit where I don't need to change out spindles? Since it is already a 5 lug car.

In your place I would use the 67-style brakes, but of course that's not the original type.

You'll need to use Granada OTRs with the Granada spindles, the Mustang OTRs look right but are actually a little too small.

If you get a kit with the 67 style brakes, you'll need to move or swap the 70 bearing races into the rotors.

As has been stated, and displayed, discussed here in this tread, Changing a Mustang to Granada Brakes is a challenge---Just look at the controvery.

Why?? All the 65-73 V8 Mustangs rolled off the assembly line with a Spindle will accept the K/H 4 Piston Style Disc Brakes, Excellent brakes, Bigger rotors, 4 Piston Stopping Power, BOLT ON.

If one chooses to change all (Spindles, Tie Rods, Alignment, Wheels,), when they can bolt on the Factory Disc Brakes with more stopping power, that will definitely be there choice.

One more Factor is Product.

There are Other Disc Brakes out there that "Will Bolt on, "will work".

These Home made parts will not be here a few years from now, No way to replace, Fix the problems that may arise, and they, the "Company" won't be there. See This Many times over 30 years.

Quality-- Parts that have been time tested, Proven, Backed up, is another factor. Select Name Brand Products, it's a standard we all know is a necessary.

No Designs==I believe your name is Dennis, 2+2 and I have the same Views, Don't know him (I assume him), TRYING to inform the public, the Misformation that has been spread, used for personal gain for someb by the Granada pushers.

Dan @ ChockoStang

217 882 2083

"...There are Other Disc Brakes out there that "Will Bolt on, "will work".

These Home made parts will not be here a few years from now, No way to replace, Fix the problems that may arise, and they, the "Company" won't be there. See This Many times over 30 years.

Quality-- Parts that have been time tested, Proven, Backed up, is another factor. Select Name Brand Products, it's a standard we all know is a necessary..."

As a supplier who produces "home made" brackets for disc brake conversions [which are actually components machined by a highly competent machine shop], the only thing I provide is the mounting means [the brackets] that connects the calipers to the rear end or onto the spindles. The rest of the parts are all late model Ford components, and all these brake components are definitely time tested/proven both on the street and on the track.

Brake parts themselves wear out, but in 9 years of production, I have yet to have a customer tell me that the mounting brackets they got from me have worn out. This is because the brackets are a non-wear item.

Whether or not, years down the road I'm still around, the brackets will still be working just fine on a customer's car and the SN95/Cobra Ford-produced brake parts that were hung on the brackets will still have replacement parts available to refurbish them with for many more years of service.

If the early Mustang disc brake components are still around more than 40 years after their original production, then I'm pretty certain the SN95 GT/Cobra brake parts will be too.

If one of the main selling points is that the stock, early Mustang K/H brakes are "bigger" than the Granada discs, then that is true. However, it isn't as good as it sounds when you actually measure the diameter difference between the two. Stock K/H rotors are 11.29" in diameter. A Granada rotor is 11.03" --a small difference of only .260" [just over 1/4"].

If we are going to use the "bigger" rotor diameter as a selling point, let's go with something that really is bigger --A '94-'04 Cobra/'01 Bullitt/'03-'04 Mach 1 front rotor [used on the higher performance late model Mustangs and Corvettes]. It comes in at a whopping 13" in diameter --a full 1.61" larger than the K/H rotor.

The Cobra/Bullitt/Mach 1 twin-piston aluminum PBR caliper is also far lighter than the early, stock K/H cast-iron caliper and the Cobra caliper/13" rotor can be mounted to either an early Mustang drum or disc brake spindle, or on a Granada disc brake spindle. This gives lower unsprung weight of the car's front suspension which improves handling. The main advantage though is it also has far more stopping ability that the stock K/H setup can't come close to competing with.

If a person is looking for a stock setup, either of the factory K/H or Granada setups are good and nearly on par with each other. If someone is looking for a lot more braking ability, the Cobra conversion setup has the upper hand in that battle.

If one of the main selling points is that the stock, early Mustang K/H brakes are "bigger" than the Granada discs, then that is true. However, it isn't as good as it sounds when you actually measure the diameter difference between the two. Stock K/H rotors are 11.29" in diameter. A Granada rotor is 11.03" --a small difference of only .260" [just over 1/4"].

If a person is looking for a stock setup, either of the factory K/H or Granada setups are good and nearly on par with each other. If someone is looking for a lot more braking ability, the Cobra conversion setup has the upper hand in that battle.

Yes, the difference between the Granada and K/H brake is only about 3% swept area.

One of my chief problems with the Granada brake is the hubs are so large virtually no stock 65-73 wheel will fit, adding hundreds of dollars of cost to conversion even if one uses junkyard wheels. Do the hubs of the Cobra brake fit, say, stock 65 14x5 wheels?