Door panel question

jshcobra

Founding Member
Jul 5, 2000
Does anyone know how to remove the aluminum trim from Cobra interior door panels. I want to swap the aluminum panels onto some other panels that have the woodgrain panels.

• Sponsors (?)

Nope, it's all dielectrically sealed together. AND, the vinyl in that area is adhered very firmly to the masonite door panel board. I have skinned one panel, and it can be done, but here's something else to consider:

SOME of the woodgrain panels are actually aluminum underneath (maybe all). I haven't tried it, but a person might be able to CAREFULLY mask off the perimeter and strip the woodgrain via chemical stripper, leaving the aluminum. I have used sandpaper to freshen up the "brushed" trim (can't remember if it was 150 or 220). Do NOT try this on dash bezels!

THE COBRAMAN said:
Nope, it's all dielectrically sealed together. AND, the vinyl in that area is adhered very firmly to the masonite door panel board. I have skinned one panel, and it can be done, but here's something else to consider:

SOME of the woodgrain panels are actually aluminum underneath (maybe all). I haven't tried it, but a person might be able to CAREFULLY mask off the perimeter and strip the woodgrain via chemical stripper, leaving the aluminum. I have used sandpaper to freshen up the "brushed" trim (can't remember if it was 150 or 220). Do NOT try this on dash bezels!

Looking at it, I think you're right. I've got a junk set so I think I'll try stripping off the woodgrain to see how it works. Thanks.