door panel removal?

i broke my power side mirror and have a replacement but it looks as if i need 2 remove the door panel to acces the wiring connector. Is there any special tool i need to remove the panel, or a clips that might break? I've never done this and want 2 play it safe and not do it half-assed. thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

There is a special door panel removal tool that will help prevent breaking the fiberboard backing, but I have never used it. Just remove the door handle trim screw, screws in the speaker grill and 2 in the armrest, the 2 bollts in the arm rest and the mirror trim panel screw. Pry the panel from the door carefull so you do not pull the plastic fasteners from the door panel. They are just slipped into place. Once the panel is loose, pull it away from the door handle and pull it straight up. Invariably a few will stay in the door, just pull them out with pliers and reinstall in the door panel.

Installation is a bit tricky, since you have to get the lock knob in the hole and the top trim seated in the opening by the window. Unscrew the lock knob to make it longer and pull it up, then work with it onto the door. Lastly snap the fasteners into the holes on the doors and reinstall all of the screws. The arm rest screws & bolts can be a bit of a pain to get into the right holes also.

Good luck

trbkrb hit it right on the head. Not that hard to do, just remove all the screws, pop out the plastic "christmas tree" plugs that hold the panel on and reach up and unplug the mirror motor.

Lets, see, I removed the panels when I added power locks with my own wires, again to replace the wiring with real lock wiring, again to install power mirrors, again to install power window panels, removed them again to sell the red panels and reinstalled my manual one temporarily, sold the manual ones and now I have to repair my black power ones so I can install them.
Oops, forgot about the time I had to replace my door.... and again to have the door painted a few months later!
I guess you can say I've done it a few times. :D

Good luck guys.