Drag Tire??

A5literMan

At least it is lumpy...
5 Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
Illinois
I've got an old set of weld draglites (15x8) that I was thinking about using this summer. Not sure if I should grab some slicks,drag radials,or bias ply dot tire. My car is just a bolt on stock 302 with a 125 shot. T5 trans,built 31sp 8.8 w/3.73s,TeamZ,MM,strange engineering suspension. I run 17x9 cobra R's with Nittos on the street and had limited traction at the strip. Any recommendations for brands,sizes,etc. ?

• Sponsors (?)

im a fan of radials... i REALLY like the new mickey pro's but they only come in a 275 60's. but being on the bottle should help get it moving

Reactions: 1 user
Radials will never work as good as a 26x10.5 stiff wall slick on a stick car. Key words there are stick car. I have tried just about every radial and they all require heavy slippage on the clutch.

The stiff wall slick was pretty much designed for stick cars, put a set of those, with tubes and screws on those draglites, do a quick burnout to clean the tires and hang it off the chip on the starting line.

I have also tried the DOT ET street tires and they are nowhere near the 28x10.5 stiff wall slicks. The car didnt hook very well on them and moved around a ton on the top end. With the stiff walls you cant even tell you are driving on a bias ply tire.

Radials will never work as good as a 26x10.5 stiff wall slick on a stick car. Key words there are stick car. I have tried just about every radial and they all require heavy slippage on the clutch.

The stiff wall slick was pretty much designed for stick cars, put a set of those, with tubes and screws on those draglites, do a quick burnout to clean the tires and hang it off the chip on the starting line.

I have also tried the DOT ET street tires and they are nowhere near the 28x10.5 stiff wall slicks. The car didnt hook very well on them and moved around a ton on the top end. With the stiff walls you cant even tell you are driving on a bias ply tire.
What brand do you recommend?

Mickey thompson is the brand i was talking about. I think a 28x10.5 is too tall/wide for a 8" rim. Ive seen 26x10's on an 8" rim and they look much more at home. a 15x10 would be ideal though. I think a 28x10.5 would also kill the gearing and there is no way you will overpower the 26 with that setup. NMRA Realstreet guys used that tire well into the 9 second zone

Thanks for the input. I think I'm just going to order some MT 26" tall stiff walls when I get a chance.

Having a hard time finding a 26"stiff wall slick. Did find a MT et street 26x10.5 bias ply that they use for NMCA racing. I might roll with these(no pun intended)

Last edited:
The ET Street bias ply sizing is different than the ET Drag sizing.
ET street is measured at the section width, ET Drag at the tread.
An ET Street in 26x10.5 is the same size (barely larger) as an ET Drag in 26x8.5.
I agree that a radial and a stick car are not a good mix without going to a race only adjustable clutch, and those will not last on the street.
I ran 26x10.5 Et Streets on my turbines for a few years. No screws, no tubes. I also ran ET Fronts and had none of the sway on the big end that people speak of. As a matter of fact it was very stable on the drive to and from the track like that as well. This was on a stock motored full weight car running 12.9 at 104.

I am doing it over, and having a hard time deciding on Hoosier Quick Time Pro's in 26x9.5-15 or Hoosier 26x8-15 Slicks.
I have had several friend go from ET Streets to QTP's and car hooks better. I am considering the DOT tire because I hate changing tires at the track... and saying you ran X on a DOT is fun. Knowing that the slick will hook harder is making it a hard decision. Either way they will not have tubes or rim screws.

Good luck.