Driving a manual

It's like slow dancing with your girlfriend. Hold her close, whisper sweet words in her ear, step lightly and stay off her toes. You'll get the hang of it and love it better than an automatic.

• Sponsors (?)

the first car I drove that was a manual was my mustang. All I did was drive it around the block a few times and then out on the street I was fine. Just takes about a week to get decent at it. But don't sweet it, its easier than you think. Just remember, YOU DONT HAVE TO RIDE THE CLUTCH OUT IN EVERY GEAR, ONLY FIRST! I cant stand when people are driving a manual and think they have to ride the clutch out in every gear, all your doin is wearing out the clutch faster. Yea there are very few situations where I'll ride out second but first is the only gear you really have to do it just to get the car moving a little. Keep that in mind :D

Yeah picking up a manual tranny is easier than some people make it sound. My sister has the right to tell people it's hard - she's one who falls into the category with all the rest of the inept drivers of the world, and she had her friend keep his car at our house for a week last year. After begging me to teach her to drive stick IN A CIVIC, which has got to be one of the easiest cars to drive in the world, I took her to the commuter parking lot to have a shot at it. Stall. Start... rev, Screeeech! Buck, stall. Over and over again.

Personally I've always thought that it's much easier to learn to drive stick when you have a general understanding of how a clutch and manual transmission work. I was never taught - I just learned about it and attempted to figure it out in a 1973 Nova SS with a Muncie M22 Rockcrusher 4-speed. Once I drove that, I could handle pretty much any standard.

Good luck - and don't burn up the tires too much. :)

my friend tried to teah my sister how to drive his 25th anniversary slomaro and she kept dumping the clutch. finally she threw a torsion bar mount about 30 ft. away.it connected the tranny to the rear end.

Everyone i know has learned on a farm truck, if you can drive it then anything is a peice of cake. My advice is take it out by yourself so theres no pressure and just drive it, youll find yourself in the beginning worrying about dead stops and by the end of the night youll be trying to see how fast you can go thru the gears all you need is seat time w/ out a crowd.

When it gets really interesting is when you only drive a manual for about 10 years and then you need to drive a friends car that is an automatic. It seems too easy. Where are all the pedals? What do I do with my right hand? Then you go for the clutch and nail the brake...... :(

i dont know how to drive a stick either b/c my parents say "i dont have enough driving experience to own a stick" and "theres too many hills" and by too many hills she means 2!.

i can understand that i dont have enough driving experience being that i just got my first car a few months ago. but what is so bad about hills?

91_4ourBanger said:
i dont know how to drive a stick either b/c my parents say "i dont have enough driving experience to own a stick" and "theres too many hills" and by too many hills she means 2!.

i can understand that i dont have enough driving experience being that i just got my first car a few months ago. but what is so bad about hills?

The thing about hills is that when your learning how to drive a stick, your generally slow at taking off. And seeing as how we all only have 2 feet (dont we?) and 3 pedals, in order to get the car going you take your foot off the brake and put it on the clutch and gas. Therefore when your learning, you'll start rolling back... Most people that are starting off will usually use parking brake while on a hill, so they dont have to worry about rolling back into a car or somethin'.

HyPer-50 said:
The thing about hills is that when your learning how to drive a stick, your generally slow at taking off. And seeing as how we all only have 2 feet (dont we?) and 3 pedals, in order to get the car going you take your foot off the brake and put it on the clutch and gas. Therefore when your learning, you'll start rolling back... Most people that are starting off will usually use parking brake while on a hill, so they dont have to worry about rolling back into a car or somethin'.

wouldnt it just make more sense to upshift before the hill aproaches and hit the gas? so that way you wont have to shift ON the hill???

HyPer-50 said:

Exactly, it is all about finding that 'sweet spot' where the tension in the clutch will keep the car from rolling without totally engaging.

91_4ourBanger said:
wouldnt it just make more sense to upshift before the hill aproaches and hit the gas? so that way you wont have to shift ON the hill???

.....we're talking about if you have to STOP on the hill. Not just going up a hill. It's not hard, but for a beginner it could be.

HyPer-50 said:
.....we're talking about if you have to STOP on the hill. Not just going up a hill. It's not hard, but for a beginner it could be.

That is what I am talking about. I can STOP on the steepest hill by holding the clutch in that 'sweet spot'. No parking brake needed. I don't think using the parking brake helps you learn much.

yeah i agree about taking it out by yourself...back road, parking lot, something and just playing around. I first drove my bro's 94 ranger...took off first like a champ...not that big of a deal. I spun the tires a little bit after that, but trucks are light in the rear anyway (not to mention all that v6 power :rlaugh: ). I then drove it around by myself in the field for a little bit and got the hang of it. Yeah, on hills, the e-brake might be a good idea..i've never tried it and never even thought of doing that until someone said it on here one time...learn where your clutch grabs at and let it out slowly til you can feel the car pulling and then give it some gas and go. Good luck, you can do it dude...manuals are awesome, both of my stangs are 5 speeds and I wouldn't have it any other way. Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em...I love driving a stick, so that helps. :spot:

WendyC said:
That is what I am talking about. I can STOP on the steepest hill by holding the clutch in that 'sweet spot'. No parking brake needed. I don't think using the parking brake helps you learn much.

I know I know lol, I wasn't refering to you = P Only time I use my parking brake, is just then, when I'm parking lol... I've just heard from people that it helps when your learning how to drive one, to use the parking brake on hills. And I know what your referring to about when you can use the clutch and gas to hold your position... not sure how that is on the clutch, seems like it'd be burning it a lil bit, but who knows. lol.

WendyC said:

Umm, I dont think thats good for a clutch... After you get the hang of it it comes natural, and the car will only roll a few inches back, and personally I love it when the car rolls back on any surface (its weird I know but I do like it).

I usually consider someone a good or bad stick driver by how they shift when racing. I think anyone can learn to drive normally in one, but to drive it hard and fast is much different. I have seen some smooth awesome drivers on the street go to the track and shift like old ladies... I would rather be a good driver at the track (Powershifting), and get that reputation.

Just go out there in a stick and practice. After a while you will be good enought o not even care it is a stick!

Learning how to drive a 5spd in a mustang is pretty easy, because i has a cable clutch and you can ride it while your learning... civics etc. with fully hydrolic clutches are sonofabitches, they fully engage within like an inch of play in the pedal.

25thmustang said:
Umm, I dont think thats good for a clutch... After you get the hang of it it comes natural, and the car will only roll a few inches back, and personally I love it when the car rolls back on any surface (its weird I know but I do like it).
QUOTE]

I totally agree that it isn't good for it and none of us does it now but finding that point would be good for a beginner, that is all I am saying. Maybe don't burn the s*!t out of it, but find that point - get a feel. That would be more productive in the learning process that putting on the parking brake.....