RANT!!! Ecoboost Coolant Tank Hose

KbullStang

Sep 23, 2017
Looking under the hood a couple months ago on the 2nd day having her home, I noticed the coolant supply hose from the reservoir was actually contacting the alternator pulley. It had created a flat spot in the hose. Guessing maybe half the thickness of the hose. Its a '17 that had close to 8k on it the day we took it home.
I used a couple zipties around the air charge pipe to pull it back a bit.

So this week I finally got time to take it in Tues. Looked at a new one to see if maybe I'm missing a hose clip or something, not the case. No one in service looked at it, but told me I needed to make an appointment, Did that for Fri. But wife had to take it in that day, cuz I had to work. They ended up giving her a loaner saying they have to order the hose and didn't feel safe having it driven with hose like that.

(separation anxiety)

Curious to see it that hose gets in their hands fast. I can understand them keeping it for safety reason as well as a cool engine to work on (we'll see) Monday morning.

So ecoboost owners, keep an eye on that coolant hose that may begins to sag over time and contact the alternator pulley. I think the hose may just need to be shorten an inch or two, or a loose ziptie around the air charge pipe to keep it away should be sufficient. I primarily took it in to document the issue.

• Sponsors (?)

OK, got it back today. They replaced the hose. It sits much higher now. But the tech still used a zip tie on a metal retainer for the top air charge pipe clamp to keep it out of the way.